Sinister: your head is like a yo yo/your neck is like a string.

Steven Kado steven.kado at xxx.ca
Tue May 15 17:45:03 BST 2001

linus sed:

> Hello, is there any of you who likes Baroque music like Jean-Baptiste
Lully,
> Marin Marais, Henry Purcell ?

yo and i be like BLING BLING!!! we been rockin' mad jointz from tha' early
music/baroque period G! fuckin' Hilliard Ensemble jointz, word!  but fuck
purcell dun, that shit is weak compared to shutz, his historias are HYPE!
yo, and did anyone peep that Organa Lux ceedee by Duffy (or was it Duffay i
alwayz get those niggas confused) that was mighty!  but, like early music is
so very january...now its time for Ligeti and reevaluating later clash
albums.  i'm just sorting out combat rock at the moment.

so does this reevaluation of later clash mean that a reevaluation of the
later works of EC (esp EC mit BB) is in the works?  could my notoriously
strident viewpoint on that particularly loathesome collaboration summersault
into a favourable one?

no.

and pynchon.
i like reading pynchon.  i, unlike many, don't assume that i've got some
sort of right to understand things so  all the words just sort of zip past
and it feels good.  what i also like about pynchon is that his stories all
revolve around various inanimate substances transmitting secret
messages...this really appeals to me...i don't have a bathtub, but i do have
this really scary, grotty, gross, shower-stall.  i was using it as a
location for cleaning my body (not my'self') and i was thinking about the
stack of reading that i have for the summer (the new sheila heti stories,
mayakovsky and pynchon) and on the pynchon thing (somewhere around rinsing
the shampooo out of my hair) i got to thinking about what the plastic in the
wall of the shower had to say.  like, what message was it communicating and
in which register did it communicate? and for whom is this message intended?
often i look at the skyscrapers i can see from my roof or window at night
and i imagine that the erratic patterns made by the lit-up windows are a
kind of message.  i see these buildings' illuminations as similar to the
punch cards they used to program computers with ...and if i can figure it
out (the coding) then what would i know? what if its just the buildings
talking to eachother?  knowing me i'd probably get in trouble for figuring
it out.  i should quit before i catch hell.

of course none of this has to do with 'architecture', since people and life
are to be resolutely separated from such a rarified thing.  grr.  i am now
getting fed up with architecture.  i mean i used to be disgusted and now i
just try to be amused...why bother maintaining the distinction between
architecture and building if no one is willing to view architecture as the
hegelian 'aesthetic supplement'? and how exactly are we to determine (viz.
the aesthetic supplement) what are the necessary bits and what the fruity
aesthetic bits? someone help me.

tying it back in, gordon, also mentioned handel's xerxes.  which is pretty
exciting.  is the version you were listening to perhaps the new-ish one that
came out on harmonia mundi that doesn't come with a libretto?  never mind,
also speaking of xerxes, i also saw a pretty decent (given that he was badly
suffering from allergies) Daniel Taylor recital.  i love it when men sing
like girls, like jimmy sommerville in orlando.  actually, the hope of seeing
jimmy sommerville up in a tree somewhere is almost the only reason i bother
to look up anymore.  that and tall buildings (but only at night).

and hey! shout-outs to EVeIE (pixiepoet11) who had breakfast with me on
sunday even though she usually eats breakfast in cleveland! sorry i talk so
much and so quickly.

i also saw 'i hired a contract killer' with my favourite actor in the world
jean pierre leaud in it.  rah! and joe strummer! rah! and directed by aki
kaurismaki! who is finnish! and i will be visiting finland in june! and am
greatly excited! does anyone in finland want to show me the sights? rah!

after breakfast with eveie i went to work at the record store and bought
more hardcore records.  sometimes i really wish that i had been alive
earlier and could have been all harDCore, i'm sure that steve walkn and i
would have made great hard-core dc kids. and teenbeat!  also, i tremble with
excitement at the thought of the forthcoming owls records.  of course emo is
now a bad word, so i should just shut it before i get some kind of heck for
my tim kinsella liking ways.  but he will probably be screaming again!

and after work i went to an ethnic warfare/pierogie making party.  and we
made lots of pierogies and ate them, and people filled the pierogies with
fillings that best corresponded to their ethnic background, which didn't
really get off to such a great start since all the people from really
non-dumpling cultures chickened out, but there were gyoza pierogies and
finnish pierogies and israeli pierogies but unfortunately team sri lanka and
scotland failed to show up.    then we ate them, and then we had excess
dough, so we ran out onto the lawn and threw it at eachother and played in
the construction site across the street and then we wrestled on the lawn and
then we watched the fireman's ball.  i also drank some kvass which made me
feel bad.

goodnight! goodevening!

s t  e vn !!!