Sinister: God Bless John Hughes

Madeleine McNeil mmcneil79 at xxx.com
Tue May 15 19:14:38 BST 2001

I was awful happy to see CarsmileSteve mention John Hughes and this vision
of loveliness that is Molly Ringwald. What a truly marvellous woman she is
(well, was). I spent quite some time in the pub discussing my fave 80s teen
movies this afternoon, and shocked all my friends with the fact that I had
to write an essay on The Breakfast Club last year. Yes, a grand a year
tutition fees and I end up studying a big nostriled, yet oddly attractive
boy called Bender. What an education I'm getting. I forget what I learned
about the film, exactly, except that through extensive research I found out
that Bender's joke doesn't really exist and thus has no ending.

May I also recommend Some Kind of Wonderful, which is my best all time 80's
film. Starring Eric Stoltz as the boy from the wrong side of the tracks and
Lea Thompson as the rich bitch (although she isn't really) it's a wonderful
example of film-making by numbers but it's cracking. And Joy Division are on
the soundtrack.

I got my tickets for Birmingham today but I'm a bit too sleepy to feel
excited. It will be nice to go to Brum, though, as I spent the first three
years of my life there. Very few memories except weeing in places that I
shouldn't and getting laughed at by my big sister. I hope that doesn't
happen every time I go to Birmingham....

Love
Madeleine
xxx