Sinister: That Doesn't Mean We're N'dlovu

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Wed May 16 10:17:52 BST 2001

If memory serves,

the geezer Miller used to live in Glasgow. That must
be why he is saying amusingly silly things like

>>> I think it would be good if everyone met up before
the Glasgow gigs in a pub, especially people who've
come a long way. I understand there are some
nice ones near the Barrowlands. Apparently there's a
good one just opposite, really handy, called THE
SARACEN'S HEAD. Why doesn't everyone meet up
there?

If I'm not mistaken, those words 'I understand' and
'Apparently' are a joke. In fact I would be very
surprised if they're not.

Then again, I still can't work out whether Miller was
implying that *he* was going to these gigs. That
seems, on the face of it, to be implied by his mail,
but it also seems out of character. For one thing, it
would mean people seeing him, and finding out what he
looked like; which would be wrong. Does he dare
disturb the universe?

And if he does fly, will he take that good big Book of
Essays that he was banging on about a few months ago,
to stop him becoming unenlightened during the long
journey?

The geezer Miller also said:

>>> Before the advent of Larry the Frog

- 'advent'. I like that, that 'advent' -

>>> Elenita99's best friend was a mobile phone with an
endless stream of French loonies on the other end.

Well, now her best friend is a mobile Canadian with a
string of English loonies on his end.

>>> Don't forget, you are ambassadors for rock'n'roll.

This reminds me, I meant to bring up Michael
Bracewell's ENGLAND IS MINE a week or so ago. Has
anyone, including the Miller, ever read it?

I suppose it's time to go and read some Clichés.

Here are a few:

In what can no man tell the future has in for us?

Store.

With what do certain belligerents make their military
dispositions?

Typical Teutonic thoroughness.

In what manner do wishful thinkers imagine that the
war will be over this year?

Fondly.

Take the word, 'relegate'. To what must a person be
relegated?

That obscurity from which he should never have been
permitted to emerge.

What may one do with a guess, provided one is
permitted?

Hazard.

And what is comment?

Superfluous.

If my editor is reading this (this isn't a cliché - is
it?), I have two messages for her: 1) do you still
have Further Cuttings collection of mine?; 2) I really
do so hope your lads knock 'em dead. Really, I do. I
would be delighted if they get that treble. McAllister
and Berger - I feel sure you'll agree - must start the
game.

Finally,

I liked what Carsmile said about the cartoon
characters. How - as Reynolds might have said - how
*droll* he can be.