Sinister: Carters World

Peter Carter p.carter at xxx.uk
Thu May 17 15:12:58 BST 2001

> im a bit dubious about how you draw up your mediocrity table though. how
> do you do it? the idea that taste is limited to food only is daft.Kings
> of Conv', to be honest, is incredebly (sp?) "mediocra", its easy to
> listen to and isnt really ground breaking, but the fact is that it is
> fab to listen to and warms you up inside.

I find some of the new Kings album dull, and some brilliant. And I'd argue
that in a lot of ways it is ground breaking. Some of the lyrics are
particularly interesting and I'm not sure I've heard anything strikingly
similar, at least not in the way Limp et al rip each other off. Anyway the
medicocrity = popularity thing only really works one way. Popular stuff is
90% mediocre, mediocre stuff is NOT 90% popular. I cite every pub gig I've
ever been to as evidence for that. To be honest, if it was truely mediocre I
doubt you, or many other people on this list, would listen to it. Just
because it's simple acousticy songs doesn't make it mediocre.

> suggesting that 1984 "follows
> the surface rules"  is laughable(even though i havent read it yet,
> shhhh).

Erm... it has a standard sci-fi type plot that involves people pushing
against the system, has a love interest, has a hero and an enemy and is
written in standard third person prose. Ok, so the sci-fi thing wasn't
following the surface rules then... but it wasn't very popular when it came
out. It's the subtexts that are really interesting, and, although those are
about as strong as they could be, people still miss them and read the story
for surface meaning. I'll never forget someone in my A-level Theatre Studies
class saying

"I don't like it, it's boring and Winston is really wet, why didn't he just
do something about it instead of sitting back and letting it happen? I gave
up after the first 30 pages."

Apparently this girl is now into GYBE! which I find a little confusing...
though I imagine she's just being pretentious, she always was one for using
big words where they didn't belong.

Oh, and I'd also like to apologise to the list for the last mail, I'm unsure
as to why I sent it and it really doesn't have much of a point. Ho hum...
I'll think more before I post in future.

Peter