Sinister: automatic push button remote control/ synthetic/ genetic/ command your soul

chris perriman room_30 at xxx.com
Thu May 17 22:25:39 BST 2001

just heard JONATHON DAVID on the sesh!
it starts off ok-ish and i thought oh, well, not as good as legal man, but
then the chorus hit and stuart started singing and i just went wow and it
got bigger and better untill there was a bit with stevie, stuart and either
isobel and/or sarah singing as well ad it was triumphantly FAB!!!

i'm impressed
but why's the 7 inch version got only 2 songs on it, i'll have to buy the
12" aswell 'coz 45s are just the coolest things on earth.  steve lamacq has
a good story about this:
two scientists were trying to find if certain shapes had deep rooted meaning
in the human brain.  to test this they had a monkey to whom they gave random
objects and recorded it's reaction.  they gave the monkey a CD, it chewed it
a bit and then threw it on the floor.  the scientists then handed it a 7
inch record.  the monkey got a hard on.
   i don't think this story's true but it illustrates a point (but hopefully
does'nt Sillistrate it, that would be most disturbing)

i was cleaning out my cupboards and found amongst my stack of NMEs and
select magazines (stretching back to '95 mind you, i hate to throw out
magazines coz things like this happen)

anyway, i found in the jan '97 select a review of 'IYFS'(4/5) alongside arab
strap's 'the week never starts round here' (also 4/5) and an interview with
stuart murdoch!

so here it is
---------------------------------------
"I do sing in a church choir"
belle and sebastian frontman stuart murdockh on christian rock,
long-distance running and breast-feeding album sleeves

your previous LP, 'tigermilk', has a sleeve depicting a woman breast-feeding
a cuddly tiger toy.  did it cause controversy and outrage?
"no, i was a bit dissapointed by the lack of reaction.  i work as a
caretaker at a church, and i thought the people there would see it and it
might cause a little bit of fuss.  but no, sadly, there hasn't been any.
the model on the sleeve is a friend of mine - and tigger of course.  the new
album sleeve has another friend - with more clothes on this time"

what inspires you regarding belle and sebastian?
"well my ispiration for writing wouldn't be bands.  it's more just boredom,
depression and the weather.  ans the films of Hal Hartley*.  musically, the
one person who has it for me at the moment is [tindersticks frontman] stuart
staples.  songs like 'city sickness' made it clear he had his vision set out
from the start - you have to bow to the superior power of the 'sticks.  my
favourite books are probably by CS Lewis - the screwtape letter and
surprised by joy"

do these works of christian exposition from the man from narnia indicate any
particular religious belief?
"i'm not a particular follower of any religious denomination, but i do sing
in a church choir.  yeah, we'd be quite happy to be called christian rock -
why not?  the band does tend to play quite a few shows in church halls.  at
the start we made a habit of playing church halls and cafes, because of the
acoustics."

does your song 'the stars of track and field' stem from an athletic
inclination?
"well, i was a runner in my youth.  i ran marathons and ran for glasgow uni.
  it's a bit of nostalgia really, because i did used to go at the running
quite madly.  i found it quite hedonistic in a way..."

did you take your name straight from the belle and sebastian TV programme?
"kind of - i have a very vague memory of the TV show.  the name arose when i
was writing a short story and the main character was called sebastian.  then
i wanted to have a female character, so i called her belle.  yeah, i do
still write a bit - it's nice to put a wee bit of writing on the back of the
record.  the first one had a story and this one has a kind of introduction
to the band." RW

---------------------------------------

* isn't hal hartley who B&S have recorded the soundtrack for?

wow, two bits of content in one post, i think that makes up for all the ones
i have sent with sod all.

see you in scarboria
pez*

P.S.   Karren, if you are reading this, sorry you haven't got the tape yet,
that's coz i haven't sent it.  i have made it though, honest; just my
compooter died and i could'nt get your address from it.  but i have it now
and it'll be on it's way :)

www.pez.com - the wonderful world of pez ;)

ivorytowers.8m.com - ivory towers records

www.drpez.com - Dr Pez, Spain's premier fish doctor (i think)