Sinister: you don't have to spend, you just have to pretend

Robyn Fadden rfadden at xxx.com
Thu May 17 23:57:43 BST 2001

sinister!

why are good shoes so hard to find? does a search for good shoes
justify a trip to japan? does it justify certain resultant poverty? i
have a feeling i've talked about this before. but themes come around
and around.

also! i know a guy here in vancouver who looks *exactly* like the
long-haired guy on the front of the new ep! except that he usually
wears metal t-shirts and a mesh ballcap. so to see this was shocking.
and then i saw him on the street yesterday, but he was too far away
for me to flag him down and tell him about it/inquire about his true
identity.

reading ruvi's post, i'm reminded of wondering whether i'm going low
brow lately. whether it's permanent or not, well, i mean, at least
i'm reading theory. but what does that count for really, when i'm
also watching wrestling twice a week (haven't gone so far as
pay-per-view yet. yet.), reading things like 'the beach' and going to
cheap night at the movies and thoroughly enjoying 'the mummy 2'. yes,
i've heard there's a fine line between clever and stupid and that
there's this thing called irony, but i don't know, i'd rather not
think about it and enjoy things. (but sometimes it catches me by
surprise and i end up thinking about these things. agh. but it's also
interesting b/c mick foley's biography also makes me think about
these things. it's some good stuff.)

i'm reminded also by steven kado's latest astounding post, of another
post of his. maybe i'm looking at this through rose-coloured glasses,
but remember s.kado's POWER MUSIC ELECTRIC REVIVAL! post was the
stuff of genius. it made me want to read books that make my arms
cramp up from holding them in scholarly ways. but he wrote that a
long time ago now... yaaay archives!

speaking of archives, cheese really does bring people together
doesn't it? search "cheese" in the archives - so much proof. yes,
belle and sebastian may have brought us together, but cheese is what
keeps us going.

also a while ago, marybeth said 'euchre', which is an addictive game
that goes well with beer and other things. i never actually tried to
spell it though, as i was taught by friends and not books, which
makes me think of oral history and how spelling is perhaps fairly
arbitrary and subjective. and therefore a bit of a joke on those who
get left out of the spelling process (yes, you can see samuel johnson
holding his belly and laughing, can you not?) i would probably spell
euchre 'yuker' b/c phonetics is so fun. (or ph...nevermind.)

pardon my logic
james thornely said of drugs that they shouldn't be done. and then he
said he smokes cigarettes. um... (and this is certainly not personal
to james, do not take it that way, please) 'doing drugs' emcompases
quite a lot, from the casual muncher of mushrooms to the eighth-a-day
pot smoker to the shooting-up-in-a-downtown-alleyway heroin addict.
the only reason it doesn't 'officially' include smoking is b/c
smoking is legal and makes so many people so much money (i'm not
forgetting perscription drugs - it's just all so much.) yes, so even
though that 'don't do drugs' ad with the looper song has the looper
song, it still has a far too general 'don't do drugs' message which
is still just as vague/laughable as the 'don't do drugs' campaigns of
the past four decades. to be blunt, not sharp, i'd rather have a few
acid flashbacks in my 50s than a chest full of cancer. to be sharp,
neither of these is, of course, guaranteed to happen. something about
excess and abuse/addiction being my eventual point here, probably.
ie., addiction bad, drugs not necessarily so bad (this would be the
'people kill people' arguement.) ie., why deal with the drug when you
should be dealing with the 'why' of it all, ie., can, worms,
instigator, aaaah!

how crappy was '13 days'? i saw it on the plane and wanted to leave.
only highlight being the (slight) irony of canadian bruce greenwood
playing jfk. which wore off so quickly. i'm all about entertainment
these days, like actually being entertained. which is probably making
me less entertaining... er. anyway, ruvi reminded me that i don't
find kings of convenience entertaining either. but perhaps it's just
the mood i've been in for the past few months. i have no idea.

i just wanted to say hello. and
layeth the smacketh down!
robyn

=====
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything. ~Steven Wright
~~~
Robyn Fadden    rfadden at yahoo.com    Vancouver, BC