Sinister: A real pillar of society...

Gardiner, Stuart Stuart.Gardiner at xxx.uk
Fri May 18 12:15:30 BST 2001

Robin said:

>Hello, my name's Robin Stout

So that's that one cleared up then. But then continued:

> There should be an option on the website for "Not behind Big Stu", so if
you end up watching the concert around Stu's ears you get a reduction.

Especially for you, Robin, I'll cut my ears off before I go to the concerts,
so you won't have to look round them. I wouldn't want to be selfish.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in this fine city, Arantxa opined:

>About 1.30 pm, after enduring JLo, the unbearable vintage jokes of that
subhuman species hired as DJ's in Radio1-daytime slots... [Johnathan David]
will be single of the week next week or something, because Nick Cave is
now, that is what the Radio 1 apemen said (?).

Now, this is approaching sacrilige (you see, I'm so shocked I can't even
spell any more). Mark and Lard are gods; because as well as being the only
show on any radio station at the moment who play decent music amongst all
the crap, they are solely responsible for Belle and Sebastian; if they
hadn't played Tigermilk on their old late-night show, no-one would ever have
heard of the band, and chances are they wouldn't even exist any more. Their
taste in music generally makes John Peel sound distinctly second rate.

However, against my better instincts, I found myself listening to Peel's
show last night, to be presented with "something new by Belle and
Sebastian"; and it turned out to be Carriage Clock. And it sounded rather
wonderful actually. It's barely recognisable from the instrumental version
they played at their gig a bit back; and is in no way harmed by its complete
lack of a chorus. And having heard the second half of Jonathan David (I
switched on the radio halfway through...), I am now of the opinion that
every single song on the new EP is better than anything at all on the Fold
Your Hands album. Or the Legal Man EP. A real return to form, and very
welcome it is too.

Sorry if anyone else has mentioned this already, but John Peel went on to
say that B&S had already recorded a session, to be broadcast sometime in the
first 2 weeks of June, consisting of 4 brand new songs, none of which appear
on either of the 2 new EPs. So that'll be the sound of several hundred
listees going shopping for blank tapes then...

And before any non-UK listees complain that they just don't care, I'd remind
you that you'll be able to listen to it over the internet; it'll be on in
late afternoon in the States, so there's no excuses.

I've just had a very frightening thought; this is my second post this week
which actually contains some content. This is of course totally against my
character, and will be rectified shortly.

There's an election coming up in the UK. The main difference between our
elections and those in the United States is that we know how to count.

Big Stu