Sinister: ne mosquitoes pass

steven kado marcel_proust24 at xxx.com
Sat May 19 00:26:26 BST 2001

So, first off...

    i'm slightly miffed that no one from our (perhaps formerly) large-ish
finnish contingent has bothered to fill me in on whats what in helsinki.
what gives? wither Jarkko? wither Ulla? where should i stay? where can i
eat? is there any gallery action that is 'un missable?' is the public
transportation confusing?

however, despite finnish disappointment i would like to say a big thankyou
to greece for producing RETSINA MALAMATINA!!! which, due to being cheap and
coming in half-litre bottles, is now my favourite thing IN THE WORLD!!! its
good in a way that makes later EC irrelevant.  In fact, after 2 bottles of
it i totally forget about the last 5 years of EC.  and no, i don't mean
electric circus.

so i cried while listening to the last joan of arc ep.

hurray!
R O B Y N  F A D D E N ! ! ! ! ! !

yes!!!

it was about time she posted, i was going to have to introduce the subject
of shoes myself... but robyn, what became of the white campers you saw that
day, those spectral shoozles...do they haunt you? or have you moved on to
others? will the craving for shoes ever be sated?  you realize that if you
go to japan what once was merely the desire for nice shoes will morph into
an insane quest to replace your entire wardrobe.  my friend rob picked up
this marvelous fake army-surplus jacket that says 'rare electro rock' in
pink gothic letters on the back while in japan.  my drooling only recently
subsisted.

i was looking at shoes myself and i was wondering why none of the fake
campers were able to replicate that mysetrious and perfect roundness of the
toe that the real deal so easily manage?  don't the manufacturers of these
camper-knock-offs see that it is precicely the shape and not the intricate
stitching of the leather and sneaker-like lacing that contains the camper
shoe's mystical allure?
what i'm driving at is that i badly want a pair of campers but can't afford
them and none of the knock offs will do so i cower and cry.  what i,
however, never wanted; at all ever, and in fact need precicely as much as i
need tuberculosis, is a collaborative recording of various and sundry 'pop
hits' from a too thoroughly nostalgised period performed with ersatz
errudition by a talented but sometimes dull opera singer with help from a
once great new wave pop song writer (who is now thoroughly washed up and
operates exclusively in the adult contemporary 'genre').  i just thought i
would make that clear.  campers yes, A-S vM + EC no.

also robyn fadden mentioned that she, like ruvi like others found kings of
convenience boring, well i would mention my own contribution to the subject
on march thirty-first when i said:

>forget kings of convenience they might be popular but they'll never be
>interesting,

but then sarah clarke said this

>Just the other day
>I attached a Kings of Convienience album to a pneumatic drill, and
>terrorised the streets of the Brixton with it. When I dropped it, I drilled
>a hole right through to the centre of the earth, and scared a few dwarfs
>down there, who were playing Magic Cards! A ground breaking album indeed,
ho
>ho ho!

and now i am madly in love with her.  i love how it also perfectly involves
nerd-baiting too! rah! take that computer science! but if that wasn't good
enough:

>Yay, 40 minutes till I can go home and play my BASS. Bass is the best
>instrument of any.

for real!  my totally ficticious ardour increases exponentially at the
introduction of such an instrument!  i'm seized by the sudden desire to get
on my bike, pedal accross the ocean and sweep her away to 'the casbah' and
get busy putting the ass back in bass...whew!  but then, i'm sure she
wouldn't have me, what with my mind like a sewer and my heart like a
fridge...no, instead of lewd, low-end imaginative scenarios i think sarah,
robyn and i should form some kind of sinister bass conspiracy.  the streets
would rumble with the sound of our bassy approach.  another reason why bass
is great is because you can look cooler doing it than any other instrument,
it gives the perfect aire of detatchment to even the most invloved motion.

my bass is a fake paul mccartney bass.  it is light and tiny.

youn suggested that perhaps EC had seized control of the power grid, or had
in some how insinuated himself into what germans call kraftwerk, which can
only be wishful speculation since the thought of him controlling vast
patterns of lighting in buildings is infinitely preferable to the thought of
him doing another album, or continuing to wear that aweful little hat.
really, you'd think cait would make him get a different one, it makes him
look like some sort of little pet-creature dressed up in human clothes and
photographed in "endearing" poses for use in tacky hallmark calendars.
ree-volting.

i guess i'm out of steam.  which is good, because humans should usually not
have any steam in them in the first place, all the water in the human body
(with the exception of some allowable vapour in the lungs) should be in its
liquid form....but if one happens to be an antique, steam-driven automaton
then it is not good for the steam to escape because then it ruins your
carefully constructed veneer of life-like-ness, and also probably reduces
the air pressure that your pneumatic works need to opperate.

s t e v e nn