Sinister: Needle in the Groove

James Gilmer grey7 at xxx.net
Sat May 19 05:38:54 BST 2001

I started my Sinister journey the first time around with a reference to Jeff
Noon in the subject line, might as well start my second round with Sinister
with another. In case you don't know, Jeff Noon is a writer, he's a very
good writer that writes about drugs that are feathers and dreams that are
worlds. He's not very twee, but he's very smooth and smart and hip.

I doubt anyone will remember me from my first go, except perhaps the
llacivious llavacious llovely Llaura Llew. You all know her, the one in the
corner with the halo and air of southern gentry. If Rachel Tucker's about
she might remember me, because she identified my Jeff Noon quote the last
time around and told me to read Gormenghast, which I did and for which I'm
in her debt. So cheers to Rachel if she's still hanging about the Sinister
playground.

As I said, Llaura Llew needs no introduction, known world wide for her charm
and excellent mix tapes and packages of goodies sent through the post. In
some places she's considered an urban legend, this shadowy figure making mix
tapes and christmas stockings. Reports of Llew sightings are few and far
between, the most evidence we have of her existence are the bits of
electronic wisdom she sends us off and on.

"Welcome back to *THE* Jimmy G! Yes, he hasn't posted yet but I know
from secret sources that he has rejoined the list. Ya know, he *is* the
reason I even discovered my Dorothy Parker when he said to me, "Laura, it's
not as if I expect you to be Dorothy Parker.""

See, she's dubbed me THE Jimmy G, now do you see the reason for the praise I
send her way? Of course, I'm also trying to make up of some quiet time when
I was out of contact and was unable to bask in her southern glow.

She can even out Dorothy Parker Dorothy Parker sometimes.

I blame it on medical reasons, whiplash to be exact. It wasn't my fault I
didn't write, that sudden, sharp turn to the right the country took round
about November 7th nearly broke my neck.

I feel like a little kid scuffing my foot in the dirt and watching everyone
take the wrong path, while I'm still looking forward under a sign that says;
"Next Century - Evolution Ahead".

Ah well, Llew has forgiven me my trespasses like the angelic girl she is,
she's far too kind to this poor heathen boy. We're like a bad buddy cop
movie as done by Dante. The foul-mouthed unbalanced heathen boy and the
angelic by-the-book angel girl. Why she puts up with me I'll never know.

She says it's the eyebrows, I knew she was only after my body. A fair
warning, beware the llove dungeon.

I think that's enough for now, except to say that I'll be in the UK this
summer from june 3rd to july 12th, I do hope american heathen boys are
allowed at the picnics, because I'd rather like to attend.

Cheers

Be sinister children...

Jim

"I haven't feel geeky or dumb since I was 17. I don't feel marginalised or
outmoded and neither should anyone else in this thriving, multiplex society.
When will successful, creative, intelligent people stop thinking of
themselves as childlike outsiders and start engaging with the real
high-stakes world?
Wake up fanboy, wake up fangirl.
Don't you want to rule the world?" - Grant Morrison