Sinister: family tree

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Sun May 20 15:51:59 BST 2001

  Last night I played piano for a pretty wedding, and my brother
played guitar and my sweet sister sang with my cousins, and people
said it was beautiful.  I thought 'my, I am blessed to have such a
lovely family.' Then everyone started on the wine, and soon I found
myself being dragged onto the dancefloor to 'urban polka' with
David.
  My mother is small and darling and doesn't hold alcohol well.
After lingering near the bar for a time, she informed me that I am
going to Europe next week.  Then she gave me a kiss and made me dance
to the Beach Boys.  Before supper, a minister said a prayer.  After
everyone said "Amen," there was an awkward silence...nobody wanted to
be the first person to start eating, I suppose.  Aunt Barb took a
gulp of gin and said "alright, Jesus!"  Mom kept laughing and
saying "alright, Jesus" for the remainder of the evening, often
within earshot of the minister.
  My fourteen-year-old sister was drinking what looked like
margaritas all night, and she insisted that they were 'non-
alcoholic,' but you never know with a crazy kid like that.  By the
end of the night, she had teamed up with a little friend and
choreographed (and performed) a four-minute interpretive dance to a
song I've forgotten.
  My father just kept buying me gin and tonic and laughing.  The only
other thing I remember him doing last night is jumping up on a table
for an acapella rendition of "All You Need is Love."
  Now it's ten o'clock in the morning and no one is awake yet, which
is odd for my family.  If one good thing came from last night's
shameful drunkenness, it was my mother deciding that I can indeed use
the money in my college fund to leave the States this summer.  I have
quite a bit to do, seeing as I am leaving in a week.  Maybe I will
get to meet some of you, depending on where I go.  I have blubbered
too much rubbish now, so I will go see if I can wake the family.  Bye

Care2 make the world greener!