Sinister: suggestions for picnic & drinking before RAH gig...

Flanagan, William william.flanagan at xxx.uk
Sun May 20 16:07:51 BST 2001

to avoid starting revision today, i've been giving the picnic & drinking
before the RAH gig some thought...

first we need somewhere to meet up... the simplest place i can think of is
the Albert Memorial... this is an extremely large statue of Albert, which is
impossible to miss because it's covered entirely in gold leaf. it's about a
4 min walk from south kensington tube station. it's in the south-east corner
of kensington gardens (almost in hyde park). it's also across the road from
the RAH.

kensington gardens & hyde park are huge, so we should have plenty of space
for a 723 a-side game of football and a picnic.

small problem is that the best place for a picnic is probably on the north
side of the serpentine, whereas the place set aside for football is on the
south side. but this argument could be resolved on the day depending on how
many people turn up.

just before the gig (or in case the weather's poo), we need somewhere to
drink.... 3 options:
1) Imperial College students union... next door to the RAH and v.cheap (for
london).
2) the queen's arms... 2 min from the RAH, cheapish. bit small & pokey
though.
3) the builder's arms... 8 min from the RAH. again reasonably cheap. 'nice'
little pub. big advantage is that is does 20 different shooters (lethal
cocktails in a shot glass) for a £1 each.

my vote goes for my union or the builder's arms. although an indication of
numbers would be helpful, because the builders arms would struggle if 50+
thirsty b&s fans descended on it on a friday afternoon.

i don't have any decent suggestions for indie clubs after the gig. anyone?

times... not sure... 1330 at the Albert Memorial?

accommodation... if it wasn't term time, people could have stayed in the
student halls which are just around the corner, but the IC students don't
move out till the 1st july. therefore i suggest looking in the bayswater
area which is just north of hyde park (about 15-20 min walk) and has lots of
youth hostels.

enough procrastination... quantum mechanics awaits...

will.