Sinister: Good Golly, Miss Molly

Madeleine McNeil mmcneil79 at xxx.com
Sun May 20 18:08:55 BST 2001

I feel I must explain my Molly Ringwald comment that seemed to rather upset
Rachel Playforth and Jay. I sais 'What a truly marvellous woman she is
(well, was)' simply because I don't know whether she is anymore or not. I
know she was in some sci-fi thing on Sky One ages back but I never saw it so
i don't know if she's wonderful, mediocre or aging badly. Thanks to Julie I
now know she is a bitch and stuck in a timewarp of limos (white ones, at
that). I always thought she looked like a bit of a sulker, but in a good,
sassy way.

Hugo Shannon asked if Some Kind of Wonderful is a remake of Pretty in Pink.
This confused me and I had to spend some time constructing a complicated
series of charts and diagrams trying to figure out the gender of the good
kid from the wrong side of the tracks, the gender of the stuck up, rich
love-object, and the gender of the pluckly best pal who harbours a secret
love in both films. My charts are not fully conclusive, but I think SKOW is
a remake but with the genders back to front. Sort of thing. If you see what
I mean.

All I properly know is that when I saw SKOW I had not yet had my first kiss,
and I spent a long hot summer dreaming of my first kiss being just like when
Keith kisses Watts in the garage. Of course, my hopes were dashed
spectacularly, as hopes tend to be.

Love
Madeleine
xxx