Sinister: Superlative? Shurely shome mishtake?

Ailsa Ross ailsa_ross at xxx.com
Tue May 22 21:13:13 BST 2001

Good God.  Not even poked my head round the nursery door, having been away
for more months than I care to remember, and already I'm being described as
superlative.  Has it been like this all the time I've been away?  I should
go away more often.

Er, hello.  I'm Ailsa, erstwhile moaner of this parish.  I'm not married
yet, but I will be soon.  I still haven't heard Jonathan David, as I now
listen to Radio Two as befits an old nearly-married woman.  Radio Two rocks
as they played the Trash Can Sinatras once, which is more than Radio One
ever do.  They haven't played B&S yet when I've been listening, though Ken
Bruce does play the Smiths, which is nice.

Archel is much more superlative than I am.   And I don't have a first class
honours degree in English so I'm allowed to use grammatically incorrect
phrases like "much more superlative" (superlatively superlative?).  Yay, I'm
going to the Albert Hall, which is just great.  Do people still say "grate"
round here, or is that a bit passe?  God, I feel like a stranger round these
parts.  Are people pointing at me and laughing?

Since I came back, people have been talking a lot about Pretty in Pink and
the Breakfast Club, which is A GOOD THING.  Rachel, who is my new favourite
person in the world, said

>hidden message: smoking marijuana is bad as makes unwary teenagers commit
>acts of brutality with blusher.

It also makes Emilio Estevez dance in a way which makes me wonder what it
was he was *really* smoking.  I used to quite like Emilio Estevez when I was
young - I think it was his unrequited love for Andie McDowell in St Elmo's
Fire which did it.  I'm quite a sucker for the unlucky in love.  Especially
when they try hard.  Ducky deserved to be on his own for not trying hard
enough.  I like losers who end up winning in the end.  It kind of restores
your faith, even if it hardly ever happens in real life, only in Frasier and
Dawson's Creek.

Now I've remembered why I left Sinister the last time.  It's bloody hard to
post anything interesting.  I think I'll off and lurk again.

Ailsa xx

By the way, what's the big deal with slagging off the Saracen's Head?  It's
a lovely pub, and has Buckfast on an optic behind the bar.  If people want a
pre-Barrowlands pub, can I suggest McChuills on High Street?  It has tons of
space, walls decorated in album sleeves for vinyl trainspotters, and a table
football table like Joey and Chandler's.  And it's just round the corner
from the Barrowlands.