Sinister: exams, fanzines and fantastic bands

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Wed May 23 18:13:10 BST 2001

Yay!
Hi all.

Top band I must recommend to you ALL at once, cos I
saw them last night, and they have a new single out
and are fantastic and get airplay on John Peel...

Bearsuit.

They've got a single called "Hey Charlie Hey Chuck"
which is fantastic, simply cos its all jangly, pop,
bouncy, cool and pleasurable, as well as having a few
moments in it where you can just really let your hair
down and jump a bit harder (provided your mum doesn't
come knocking on your door to complain about the
ceiling in the livingroom collapsing.)

Went to see them last night at the Norwich Arts
Centre. They were great, in the midst of a pleasant
summer, and what with loads of bands going all
post-rock these days....
Now theres nothing wrong with that, but you know, it
does get a bit blah blah blah....

Good fun.
Its available from their label Sickroom GC and its
distributed by pinnacle. Go and hassle that nerdy
looking bloke in your nearest record shop now to order
it in.

I have nothing to gain by telling you all this. But
you know, it really is brilliant, and will probably
appeal to B+S fans most of all.
Just for the pure pop pleasure of it all.

I have an exam on Friday. Hmm.
Lets leave that alone, shall we.

Oh, and we finally managed to get the "Point Of
Ioslation" fanzine sorted out. We sold quite a lot on
its debut night last night at the gig. At first, we
asked folk if they wanted to buy it.
Then one or two did, and they sat and read it. And
then all their pals began to approach us asking to buy
copies. Then people in the bands who played (Life
without buildings, Aereogramme, Bearsuit) bought
copies too.
Then we over heard people discussing articles in it
among themselves.

Thats not something that people *usually* do when they
buy a fanzine, is it? Or am I the only one to shove it
to the bottom of my jacket pocket/handbag/ safeways
carrier and then discover it months later looking
crumpled up when I was looking for something else
entirely.. (usually enough change to buy a packet of
ciggies)

I have to say, I was a bit nervous about what people
might make of it. It was basically my little baby, and
I wanted each copy to go to an appreciating, loving
home.
It's quite cheap as well, only 70p, which we reckoned
was a pretty good deal, for a fanzine. We are pretty
pleased with it, cos its got cool interviews with Jeff
Mueller (rodan, June of 44, shipping news), Bearsuit,
and various other bands get given the chance to prove
their value, alternative horoscopes, reviews, a thing
about Husker Du, news, a fantastic feature on
droplifting (oposite of shoplifting... v. clever idea)
and all sorts of other things. I think its been a
learning process anyway. We've decided to give free
copies to everyone in the university society. I feel a
bit sad now, though, on an anti climax cos we've got
it done. I wish I'd been able to get some blue peter
badges, cos I really fancied the idea of giving away
free blue peter badges with each issue. Hmm. I suppose
that will just have to wait until we have found a mole
who is corrupt enough and works at BBC TV.
Hmm. One day.... one day....
Anyway, I was just feeling quite pleased with myself,
and thought you should all know why.

:)

Cheers
berryidle