Sinister: Re: Utilitarianism

Halliday, Ian ian at xxx.com
Thu May 24 09:42:31 BST 2001

Thank you, I thought you'd never ask.

Utilitarianism is the philosophical principle that anything that
increases the net total of world happiness is a Good Thing, while
anything that decreases it is a Bad Thing.

For example, if B & S were to release a new album which was truly
marvellous, this would be a Good Thing, because more people would be
made happy by this than would be made sad, but if Des O'Connor were to
release a new album, this would be a Bad Thing.

In the same way, if Manchester United were to be relegated from the
Premier, this would be a Good Thing. Even though they have a
frighteningly large following, far more people hate them.

Everything I know about utilitarianism comes from hanging around with
people studying it in their first year, along with politics and
economics. I won't say where this was, because you'll call me an
elitist, but please note that I didn't complete a degree there.

Regards,

Ian
--
Ian W Halliday, BA Hons, MIMIS, AAIBF Snr, ATMB, CL
+64 25 245 6089 (GMT+12)