Sinister: All I Loved You For

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Sun May 27 11:24:05 BST 2001

I'LL KEEP ON LOSING YOU

It had to happen, provided I lived this long. I am,
possibly, reading, after 10 years' preparation,
William Cooper's Scenes From Provincial Life. It
seemed the book for me. Ten years ago. And now. But is
it? We don't know yet.

HE BURIED PAUL

The other day I finished Bracewell's ENGLAND IS MINE
at last. If I had it with me I'd tell you what was
good and bad about it, in detail. What's bad about it:
some bad sentences. What's good: the way that he links
pop experience back to the everyday - to the mundane
geography of Britain. That's my kind of thing. He
really does get better as he goes along. He's fine on
Bowie, amusing on Loughborough University, kind of
convincing on The 80s: and when Morrissey turns up as
the last avenging angel it makes Sense. Has nobody
else anything to say about this book? My editor was
going to review it once, but didn't. The fact that he
didn't is like Eliot having never quite got round to
reviewing Ulysses.

DON'T TREAD ON ME

Another book that I have bought is The Selected
Letters of S.J. Perelman. I liked the look of all the
addresses from which he writes.

Beverly Hills, Calif;
Hollywood Knickerbocker Hotel;
Erwinna, Pa;
Washington Square North;
Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin;
Alpes-Maritimes, France;
SS 'President Cleveland';
513-A Sixth Avenue;
Hotel Lutetia, Paris;
New Stanley Hotel, Nairobi;
East Grinstead, Sussex;
Hong Kong Hilton, Hong Kong;
Key West, Fla;
Grand Hotel, Taipei;
Onslow Square, London;
SS 'Tjisadane' en route Batavia;
SS 'Kasimbar' en route Batjan, Moluccas;
Oriental Hotel, Thung Mahemek, Bangkok;
Ambassador Hotel, Rome;
Gramercy Park Hotel.

That is my contribution to any poetry contribution
that happens currently to be running, that I may not
have heard about.

I'm sure that Gramercy Park Hotel, where SJP lived out
his dog days, is the one where B&S stayed c.1997.
Right? That's Content, that is.

DAISY WHEELS

Another book that I am interested in is Gavin
Lambert's Inside Daisy Clover (1963), complete with
old-time Yankee book design still intact. I was
worried for a while that I might have bought the wrong
kind of book here - you know, the kind that Peter
Miller likes. But it doesn't look like it. I am still
looking for the second Bell Jar, you see, though
presumably it doesn't exist.