Sinister: I introduced my English teacher to B&S

Holly Trochet bookworm_trochet at xxx.com
Sun May 27 20:20:27 BST 2001

Hello,

I just spent three days in Ashland, Oregon, which was a six hour bus ride from where I live. It was a field trip, believe it or not. We went there to see The Tempest and Enter the Gaurdsman.

It was a thoroughly exhausting trip, mostly because the eighth graders ran around the bus shouting and playing with each other's hair, and standing in front of the TVs, which were showing movies that were being played at the loudest level, so they were impossible to ignore. It took most of my self control not to burst out screaming at them, and the rest of my self control not to beat up my friends, who were pulling my hair. (I don't know why, but people think it's fun to pull on my hair)

I am not a crowds person. I don't like being with a lot of people at once. I despise the noise and the cramped space. That's why the bus ride was nothing short of hell for me. Luckily, I had B&S to comfort me...at least on the way to Ashland. On the way back, the batteries were busted, so they made the tape slow down, which made Dirty Dream #2 sound incredibly odd.

I didn't bring back many souvenirs because 1. I'm not a crowds person and 2. I hadn't the faintest idea of what I wanted to bring back, though I had considered a pillow for my sister that said "The Queen Sleeps Here".

The plays were okay, except in The Tempest, they changed Prospero and Antonio into women. (I'm not kidding!)

Anyway, I introduced my teacher, Mrs. Rumfelt, who is 29-almost-30, into B&S on Friday night. You see, she had taken us to a skating party/dance that was supposed to last from 8:30-10:30. I hadn't wanted to go, but I wasn't given a choice, so I was dragged along.

Well, as you can imagine, the DJ at the skating rink didn't play anthing good, so I sat in a corner trying to listen to Belle and Sebastian partly to drown out the sound and partly to pass the time. I think it was then that the batteries started to run low. Mrs. Rumfelt came over and asked to listen to them, mostly because she didn't like the music, either. (The DJ wouldn't play any of the 80s music she listened to) I doubt she could hear much because it was so loud there. I had her listen to a verse of Women's Realm (I don't care 'cause I'm by myself...). She said that they seemed to have good lyrics, and they reminded her of what she listened to esp. the Velvet Underground. I smiled and told her that B&S happened to be influenced by the Velvet Underground. (Or is that just a rumor? I could swear that I read somewhere they had been)

Well, despite the bus ride and the skating party, the trip was fun, but I'm glad to be back. I hope I didn't put you to sleep.

-Holly

P.S. I know this will sound very weird, but can anyone tell me what a Welsh accent sounds like? I've heard one...or if I have, I didn't realize that it was one