Sinister: Leigh (only one hour North of Auckland) ... are you ready to rock?

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Tue May 29 10:17:55 BST 2001

hey kids

another long lapse in postings .... sorry.

firstly, I have decided to put less ranty personal information in my posts.
you see, I know *know* people on the list. as in, have actually met two
listees now. which is reasonably exciting, given how long Auckland was an
absolute wasteland for B&S fans ....

which brings me to ....

(roll fanfare)

an account of the first ever
***SINISTER AUCKLAND CHAPTER MEET-UP***
(which, of course, happened *outside* of Auckland)

OK, so there were only three listees there (that I know of) but nonetheless
it was an excellent occasion.

The occasion in question was a gig by two bands, The Brunettes and
Plasticine, at a place called Leigh, which is North of Auckland. The venue
is an old sawmill, and is aptly called "The Leigh Sawmill Cafe". Great place
... good wood-fired pizzas, highly recommended if any of you are ever in the
area.

anyway, the bands. there were actually three, but the middle one was pants
so I won't bother talking about them.

**Plasticine**
Plasticine are great. they formed from the ashes of my favourite Auckland
band, Polaar, and are a two piece, consisting of keyboards and guitar.
Scott, one of the formentioned listees, is the auteur behind them, and they
are really really good. I could go on about them, but he may read this, and
I would be a little embarassed. Because I'm not very good are describing how
things sound, other than in terms of "good" or "bad", and I might offend him
with a comparison. But they were fantastic. (But you can go to
http://www.mp3.com/plasticine (I think) for an MP3.)

**The Brunettes**
An absolute revelation. Not just one of the best New Zealand indie bands I
have heard in a while.
Not just one of the best New Zealand indie bands I have heard.
Not just one of the best indie bands I have heard.
But one of the best bands I have ever heard.
No really, they are amazing. Think Jonathan Richman meets the Shangri-Las.
Or something. Just fantastic, bubblegum pop'n'roll. I swear, you'd all love
them. Every single one of you.

So, anyway, it was agreat night, up in the middle of nowhere, listening to
great indie on a dark, stormy night, and then driving back through the
native bush to get home to a nice, warm b&b only slightly closer to the edge
of nowhere.

***DISCLAIMER***
OK, three people meeting and seeing some bands isn't the most exciting thing
in the world. but it *was* good, and it makes me happy that I'm not the only
listee in Auckland any longer.

right, on to the nex thing .....

***TOWN PLANNING***
err .... what?
ARE THERE ANY LONDON PLANNERS / PLANNING STUDENTS ON THE LIST?
A good friend of mine is planning to come to the UK in a few months. He has
a Bachelors and Masters degree in Planning from The University Of Auckland,
and is interested in hearing about job prospects etc. If there are any
listee who might know anything about this, and wouldn't mind having their
e-mails passed on, then please let me know. he's really appreciate hearing
from you.

Right, to bed ......

Lawrence Mikkelsen