Sinister: there's been an accident, oh no

chris perriman room_30 at xxx.com
Tue May 29 22:03:15 BST 2001

morning everybody, heres what i got up to yesterday
(following the mikkelmeister's gig review, here's mine)

--------------------------------------

bank holiday monday.  went to middlesbrough, saw some bands in a park and in
"the crypt" (the basement of the town hall)  here's my synopsis

SIZER BARKER
liverpudlian indie 5 piece,  super furryesque synths, comedy facial hair
6/10

CLEARLAKE
not as good live as they are on record, a bit dissapointing 4/10

PROUD MARY
a big bunch of SHITE.  richard ashcroft lookalike singer with his oasis
clone band (the bass player had the same bass as andy bell for god's sake)
all wearing shades like it wasn't raining, huge heads coz they're sighned to
noel gallagher's label with identikit oasis solos over identikit oasis chord
sequences. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WATCH OR LISTEN TO THIS BAND, YOU WILL BE
SEVERELY DISSAPOINTED. 0/10

COOPER TEMPLE CLAUSE
while proud mary struck rock god poses, cooper temple clause *were* rock
gods for the 3 quarters of an hour they were on stage, so many instruments
being swapped in record time, storming through songs, literally a
wardrobeful of synths, effex and drum machines (an actual wardrobe sized
flightcase!). 4 vocal mics so that whoever's turn it was to sing would be
near one as the drummer was the only one *not* leaping and bounding about
the stage. I LOVE THIS BAND, YOU SHOULD TOO. please go and see this band
live if you get the chance, i urge you. pure adrenaline, a triumph for the
flared generation.10/10 here comes a panzer attack!

SHED 7
woooh! after all that mayhem it's time to have a right old sing song to
everyone's favourite britpop stragglers. 7/10 for effort

ALFIE
second best band of the day, amazing also.  stoolrock at it's best, cellos
are the best instrument in the world (apart from a low slung rickenbacker
4001 bass, mmmm).  back to alfie, fantastic comeback from a heckler "i
didn't quite catch that mate, but it looked nasty so if it *was* nasty then
fuck off"  original.  the trumpet player got a fan's camera and went round
the stage photographing the band for her, jolly nice chaps.  9/10

went to get the train back to newcastle at 7:30 but missed it by 5 minutes,
bugger.  had to sit on the platform till 11pm then on darlington platform
from 11:20 till 12:12am then got home at around half 1, god i hate trains.
wish i had a car.
all together a good day though.

--------------------------------------

somebody mentioned a band called BEARSUIT.  i saw their single in a shop
today so i had to buy it (nuff respec to whoever the mystery bearsuit fan
is, thanks) a cross between bell & sebastian (boy/girl harmonies) and bis
(low fi shenanigans) and incredibly twee to boot.

i'm sounding like a reviews page here, forgive me.
but if anybody wants me to write for their fanzine that'd be fab, i've
always harboured dreams of being a writer and *my* fanzine never got off the
ground.

don't guitars make girls look fab, any girl can look fantastic if she picks
up a guitar, it's like some magic property.  and basses are even better, it
nust be something to do with the proportion of guitars to girls, they
complement each other extremely well. don't you think?

that or i've got a fettish

sorry for wasting everybody's time with this drivel, i'll go now
bye

Pez*

www.pez.com - the wonderful world of pez ;)

ivorytowers.8m.com - ivory towers records

www.drpez.com - Dr Pez, Spain's premier fish doctor (i think)