Sinister: To be discontinued...

Gardiner, Stuart Stuart.Gardiner at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 1 12:25:36 GMT 2001

OK, make the most of this, it doesn't happen very often. Yes, I've got some
B&S content! This review of the B&S Rio gig is on the NME website...
Rio's warm weather seems to have melted all of Belle & Sebastian's cool. The
band, known for their distant looks and unattainable image, give a fantastic
performance when closing the first night of the Free Jazz Festival in Rio.

Isobel Campbell - who stayed at home for fear of flying after the World
Trade Center and Pentagon terrorist attacks on September 11 - misses what is
likely to be considered one of the band's pivotal live performances in years
to come.

Stuart Murdoch and his pals never normally look this happy, jumping around
and dancing frantically. And the crowd certainly approve, as the sold-out
venue cheer almost non-stop.

B&S perform no less than 17 songs, including two Brazilian hits: 'Baby' by
Caetano Veloso and 'Minha Menina' by Jorge Benjor - both made famous by
Brazilian cult band Os Mutantes. During the performance of the latter (sung
by guitarist Stevie Jackson), members of the crowd are invited to join in
the fun onstage. So much for cool... ..

The Scots also, of course, bash out hearty renditions of their own classics
- the highlights including 'I Fought In A War', 'Me And The Major', 'Don't
Leave The Light On, Baby', 'The Boy With The Arab Strap' and 'Legal Man'.
B&S's performance is a great closing to a lovely evening out.
Sounds like the reviewer didn't go to any of the gigs on the UK tour,
then... Still, not a bad review...

Meanwhile, Katie was talking about earthquakes. And I know how she feels.
Because we had an earthquake right here in Nottingham on Sunday afternoon.
Admittedly, it was only a tiddler, about a 3.8, but by British standards
that's a major event. We were on the news and eveything. Even if the only
effect it actually had was to make people wander out onto the street saying
"What the hell was that?".

The Pulp album is, well, underwhelming. It has its moments, mainly the
moments when you can tell Scott Walker was around at the studio, like the
end of Sunrise. But we were hoping for so much more... My hopes are now
resting on the Tompaulin album which I shall be heading to the shops to find
at the weekend (although worryingly it doesn't include "It's a Girl's
World", surely one of the best songs of the last year).

I would also like to send a get-well-soon message to, erm, my car. Which had
to get towed to the garage this morning. It's been to five B&S gigs, you
know.

Several hundred years ago, on November 5th, Guy Fawkes tried to blow up
parliament and kill all the politicians. Can someone please explain why we
celebrate the fact that he failed?

Big Stu