Sinister: oxford and picnics and city lights

Matthew Willson matthew.willson at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 1 16:48:56 GMT 2001

Hullo everyone :-)

Having been refered to as a 'lurker friend' by the wonderful Photojenni I
thought it would be a good point for my first post :)

I'm quite excited by the prospect of picnics as I've never been to a
sinster one before - do such things ever go on in Oxford? if not then
perhaps we should do something about it - I could think of a few nice
places for one. Although I only moved here for uni about a month ago so
perhaps someone can suggest somewhere nicer :-) I will be making the trip
down to primrose hill for Cay's birthday picnic though, which is doubtless
going to rock... she's going to help me find a duffel coat
too.. yay! (it's cold here)

The sudden keeness on picnics maybe stems from my random wish to get out
of the city this morning... (is oxford a city? hmm.. still) one of those
claustrobic hangovers that make you want to gasp for fresh air and forget
everyone but your best friends for a few hours. I think a picnic would
make a suitable respite from 'the big city where a man cannot be
free..'. especially the london one :) (humour me, it's part of my ongoing
project to describe every aspect of life with my favourite song lyrics :)

Oxford is a nice town really though. It's very spooky at night, in
places. Or I think so anyway. I like this. I could walk around the city at
night alone and not do anything and still feel kinda special... maybe i'm
*cliche* in love with the city lights.. i have already named a band
after them :-) but they can get claustrophic at times too. I've been
planning on going and drawing selected spooky old buildings at night
from weird angles and combining them into a kinda city light blur
picture... but it never seems to happen. I'm too lazy to be an
artist. :-) Stop me if I make no sense at all...

*random fact* I woke up with a bruised toe this morning. I also had no
idea where it had came from until I realised I was kicking inanimate
objects in a drunken manner last night :-( After dealing with a rather
confusing/tearful 'I really like you but I can't get involved' talk with
the girl who's leaving before christmas... and then having to take over
the decks after half an hour of nu-metal and convince everyone they want
to dance to Le Tigre and the Velvet Underground and Life without
Buidlings (and The Make-up! thanks Cay). Surprisingly it worked rather
well, although I got one 'play something I fucking recognise'
complaint.. hm :)

Ooh... I've just remembered I'm maybe supposed to mention something about
b&s when posting here :-) As cay will tell you (are you known only as
photojenni on here? or will Cay do?...) at our band rehearsal on sunday
our lovely guitarist/drummer Al made the following little (perhaps mildly
ironic) observation about us poor b&s fans:

"It's kinda like being gay... you can see where they're coming from and
respect them for it, but you wouldn't want to do it yourself"...

Hmm... for some reason that had us all laughing our arses off... I don't
think the choice of analogy was intentional :) he does some wicked
drumming on my indiepop/post-rock stuff though. And can do kinda one-man
godspeed you black emporer material with a delay pedal and a
guitar. So he's forgiven. hehe

The band by the way is called The Endless City Lights and are going to be
great once we get our act together and practise :)

Can someone explain the mix tape battle to me? can I be in a team? and why
is it rachels and wills? is being called rachel or will a prerequisite? or
does that not matter? it's doing my head in :-)

Ooh and are there any other oxford kids on here? I've met a few likely
suspects so far actually, come to think of it :-) there should be picnics
and stuff. although not scary ones. :-)

I've just realised I used way too many smileys...

I'll stop boring you all now anyway, I have music to listen to and work to
do (guess which comes first)

Goodbye for now then

Matt
xxx