Sinister: The State that I Am In.

erin dougiefish at xxx.com
Thu Nov 1 22:29:31 GMT 2001

I'm all for new experiences;  Experiences like getting
drunk at frat parties are new.  So that's precisely why I
went frat hopping last night;  Something new.
Everything must be experienced at least once (except
perhaps eating sauerkraut, I know without having
tried it that it can't be enjoyable).  For someone who
never drinks, I was remarkably able to consume.  2
beers, a Zima, and 5 straight alcohol shots (does
anyone really drink tequila straight?  I wouldn't
recommend it).  It didn't make me feel adult, but it did
make me feel like I'm living up (or down) to society's
expectations of me as a teenager.  And a Uni student.

No hangover, but no sleep + 2 shots of espresso in
the morning made for an interesting philosophy
lecture, especially given as how the prof kept using
the phrase "The state that I am in" ; "The state that it is
in" ;  "The state that you are in".  Understandably I was
in a state of semi-dazed Belle & Sebastian
reflectionism.  I can heartily endorse it as a nice state
of consciousness to be in.  Fodor & Belle &
Sebastian.  Who would’ve thought?

I must agree that crushes are wonderful things, even
when they hurt.  It’s a sort of revitalizing pain.
Sometimes I forget that I exist and need that pain or
that passion to reaffirm my humanity.  Sinister
crushes must  be some of the best; I have never had
a boy who understood Belle & Sebastian, no matter
how many mix tapes I made.  I still send tapes to the
one I left, but he still listens to his trip-hop and cannot
understand The State That I Am In.  Being the most
prosaically mundane and un-hipster Belle &
Sebastian fan out there, I can probably assume I
won’t ever have a boy who understands that aspect of
me (admittedly a very big & important aspect), or am I
wrong to assume that all other B&S fans are
terminally cooler than I am?  It usually feels that way.
(No worries, though, I am perfectly comfortable with
my terminal unhip-ness).

I haven’t managed yet to ascertain if there are any
other Sinisterians in the pacific northwest.  There
must be; now who are you?

Peace, Love and Poptarts!
erin