Sinister: Henricus Cornelius Agrippa Von Nettesheim and me......

aale002 at xxx.nz aale002 at xxx.nz
Fri Nov 2 02:31:45 GMT 2001

First off, apologies to Lawrence for not replying to your email before sending
this off.  I'll reply to you in a couple of days.  Promise!  :-}

Secondly, today has been a good day.  A very good day, in fact.  So, I thought
I'd share it with you all.

In contrast yesterday was horrible.  I had an exam (second to last, yay!), and
all day felt...disjointed.  Like I couldn't quite get a grip on what was
happening, even though nothing much was going on at all. Ordering a coffee was
a nightmare, and I don't even want to talk about the filled rolls.

The exam itself was a doddle:  a third-year psychology paper called "Evolution,
Behaviour and Cognition", which is the sort of thing I've been studying since
Year Dot.  The lecturer for the paper even rang me up the night before to make
sure I was OK, because he hadn't seen me in class in a week and I hadn't come
to pick up my essay from his office, which was nice.  Not to be too cynical
about the whole thing, but this is the time of year when lecturers start
looking around for students who want supervisors for their thesis years, and
this particular lecturer knows that I share an interest of his in the
philosophy of biology, so I've become something of a teacher's pet.  Many of my
friends have bandied the word "protege" about.  :-P

Once that was over, I went to work, then went home and had an early one, hoping
to put the day behind me.

This morning when I got up, I felt much better.  I went to my mentoring session
(I help run a voluntary mentoring programme at a local school, and also mentor
a 12 year old boy) and had a jolly good time, discussing long term planning and
critical thinking as it applied to the computer game, Baldur's Gate II.  :-}

Then, I got on the bus.

I like buses.  I think buses rock, and frequently ride them as a hobby, not
unlike a certain boy.  Buses are a great place to meet interesting people, and
to see the sights of the City of Sails, the Queen City if you will.

I did my usual thing, sitting down near the back, so that I can people-watch
without feeling crowded.  A few moments into my ride, I realised that the
person sitting in front of me was my Mediaeval Philosophy lecturer.  I said his
name, he turned, and I then had a _very_ pleasant conversation, all the way
back home.

This is what we discussed (amongst other things):

I am almost finished my programme, but not quite.  I am doing something that
sounds much more impressive than it really is.  What it is is called a conjoint
degree, which is where, if your marks are good enough, you are allowed to do
two degrees at once, at an accelerated pace.  Many people do Law and Commerce
together, but I am doing a Bachelor of Arts (majoring in Philosophy) and a
Bachelor of Science (majoring in Psychology).  Such programmes usually take 4
to 5 years.  I am just beginning my fifth year now, and need only to do one
more psych paper and one other science paper to graduate, which I have decided
to stretch out over the whole year, taking a few other papers at the same time
for interest.  Effectively, I have finished my BA already, but will not
graduate formally until the requirements for my BSc are complete.

My lecturer knows this, and said that, if I would like, he would look into the
possibility of me doing Masters level Philosophy papers _next_ year, before I
officially graduate, to prevent me from getting bored with just doing more
undergrad philosophy (this is not likely, because I love philosophy and intend
to go straight into my Masters in it after I graduate, leaving psych in the
past, where it belongs.)  This, of course, made me rather happy-not only was
one of my favourite lecturers saying that he would like me in one of his
advanced papers, but I was also suddenly faced with a significantly expanded
choice of topics-grad students get to do all the _really_ interesting cutting-
edge stuff.  Yay for me!

Then, we talked about tutoring.  Traditionally, tutors in philosophy have been
second year masters students, but with the philosophy department growing
rapidly in size, demand has far outstripped supply.  The HOD has stated that he
would be willing to consider people such as myself, who had completed their
major in philosophy but had not yet graduated, for these (paid) tutoring
positions.  Now, tutoring in philosophy has always been a dream of mine-I have
had some _outstanding_ tutors in my time, and really want to be just like
them.  Also, tutoring is most certainly the first step on the road towards
lecturing in philosophy.  My lecturer, when informed of all this, said that
since the philosophy department was absolutely filthy rich right now (in NZ,
university departments get funding based upon the numbers of students they have
enrolled each year, and philosophy one of the biggest departments with very
small overheads) and since they were always looking for good potential tutors,
OF WHICH I WAS OBVIOUSLY ONE (yay and double yay!) I was shoe-in for any
tutoring job I applied for.  I later confirmed this in discussion with a group
of graduate students that I know, some of whom had been my tutors in past
years. (They also really liked my beard.)

That, you would think, would make my day, but oh no! the best was yet to come.
As we got off the bus and walked towards the philosophy department, I broached
a subject that I had been dwelling upon for over a year, but never had the guts
to mention before for fear of being laughed at.  I obliquely asked him if he'd
done much reading on the works of various Rennaisance magicians and alchemists
(of which the delightfully-named fellow in the title is one), to which he
replied that that was a particular area of interest of his.  Encouraged, I
began discussing my interests in examining the texts of such folk not in the
traditional way (i.e. that they were all ignorant, deluded fools with no
intellectual ability or appreciation of the history of philosophy and science)
but that they were genuinely attempting to set the groundwork for a methodology
of science that, while now obviously false, has significant forebears in the
works of Classical researchers into the natural world-Pliny, Aristotle,
Hippocrates, etc

He looked at me for a second, then said that that sounded like an excellent
idea for a thesis topic (yay, double-yay, and dare I say it, triple-yay!)
because there are a lot of primary sources available, but not much has been
done on their thinking from a philosophical standpoint.  He also said that he'd
be happy to supervise my thesis if that was what I decided to do it on (YAY!).

Before this, I was intending to write my thesis on a book by a guy called
Robert C. Solomon, entitled "LOVE Emotion, Myth and Metaphor", but I was
struggling with a rather problematic academic issue.  Bob Solomon is a regular
visitor and lecturer to the department here in Auckland (being based at the
University of Texas), and earlier this year announced two graduate
scholarships, the only scholarships available specifically for philosophy
students.  Tertiary education is expensive here, and such a scholarship would
significantly help me to pay my way.  Of course, assuming that I ended up
winning the scholarship, there would be a rather obvious conflict-I would be
being paid by the person who's book I was critiquing to critique that very
book. Can you say "Conflict of interest"?  I thought you could.

Of course, now, that's no longer a problem.  I'm now able to do a topic which
fascinates me, but which I never dreamed in a million years I'd get support to
do in an academic philosophy setting-studying the writings of a Rennaisance
magician and discussing it as a philosophical text.  Can I get a BLOODY GRATE
YAY, my brothers and sisters?

How cool will it be to go to a party and say, "Mmm, yeah, I'm writing my thesis
about a funky German magician"?  Better than "Err, actually, I'm a librarian",
anyways.  (I know, I know, but I'll still be twee on the inside! Go the
libraries! Besides, do you know how much time I'll have to spend in closed
collections in libraries chasing down obscure references and learning Latin and
Greek?)

Well, that's what I wanted to write and tell you all about.  Not very B&S
oriented, unfortunately, but then again I don't have days like this very
often.  I feel like I need a beer and a kebab to celebrate (What's "Could I
please have a beer and a kebab?" in Greek, Stacey?)

Today was a VERY good day.....

Right-o, that's all,

Go the buses!

Cunning Andre