Sinister: Chu wears the clothes of an emperor

Rachel fruitloop blind_lisa at xxx.com
Sat Nov 3 05:21:54 GMT 2001

HELOOOOOO SINISTERINEYS!!!

I am back to summarise, to dazzle, to entertain and to generally
RAQUE YOUR WORLD!
Can I just tell you how excited I am that it's Friday?! Also,
Halloween ending means that I can go shopping for cheap Halloweenie
thingies for my Tim Burton-esque kitchen that I like to call "The
Nightmare Before Dinner".  This is the only time of the year I can
get new oven mitts, dish towels and tablecloths, so I must take
advantage!!!!

So, this is another MEGA POST because y'all have been writing some
very engaging things to the list lately!  I'm glad that some of you
actually *look forward* to this!! You make me smile!

*****************SINISTER UNDER 20/KEN CHU/OVER 25****************

Peter Carter wrote of Rach Cornflake's legion of Sinister under 20:
"ME! Can I join? Please please please please!" and it was really
weird because the date of his post showed up in my mailbox as 9/30,
which is my birthday.  What a weird glich. But wrong date or not,
it's over seven years too late for me to belong to the club, so I
don't know what I'm getting so excited about my birthdate being on
his post for!

and Cola Cube Cay wrote: "Can I join the Sinister under 20s club
please?"
Another under 20!!!  Wow, you kids are so cool and so young!

Pez just turned 22!  Hoorah!  Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Madeleine wrote of the Sinister's Old Codger's Club: "Vic and I
always carry clean pants and a toothbrush, we never kip on floors, we
often prefer a quiet meal and a chat to a yeard of ale and a kebab
session. We prefer comfort over "fun" any day."
I'm not quite there yet, I have been known to "kip" on floors... what
a british term that is--kip, how does it mean sleep?  Where in the
world did it come from?!

Jonny wrote: "and then rachel fruitloop reminds me of my own
mortality with talk of a sinister retirement community."  Ahhh,
Jonny, I just wanted you to know that even crazy fruitloops like me
are old-timers!  But the best part is that we secretly kick ass,
despite our "Codger" facade!

Joe Vester (to those in the know, Rachel Pancake!) wrote: "Sinister
under 20s would rawk. And I can be a member for the next 5 years or
so."
My goodness, that is a scary thought.  You're fifteen and brilliant!!
 Where were boys like you when I was fifteen, dammit!?

********************JERK-OFFICE
SPACE*********************************

Lisa (Rachel Ranchero, to those in the know!) "said to the clerk
behind the counter, "You know, Loverboy falls into that category of
music that I call 'Earnest Rock'. I am never sure what kind of
emotion they're trying to communicate, but whatever it is,they're
trying to do so very forcefully and earnestly."
Someone thinks it's funny and it's me! I, for one, am ALWAYS working
for the weekend!

Mark wrote an amusing tale of office life, and the Stationery Master.
 Writing "Live animals: Do not eat" and something about "Fetish City"
on the outside of his order that had arrived is so very amusing.  I
love office entertainment at the expense of others' who make
themselves targets! Nice one!

Helen McLean wrote: "At my work we have a woman who has
a small obsession with watching planes fly, and so at the slightest
sound of a plane flying overhead (which can happen quite often) she
will literally drop everything and bolt out the door and will be
staring at the sky smiling."
WHAAAAT? That is just bizarre! I can't imagine what I would do as an
employer if my staff did that. Unless you work as an air-traffic
controller...then it makes sense (the cocaine, ya know!)

Robster wrote: "Now I don't think there has been any formal
declaration of war on this front and I certainly have nothing against
any of the Robins or Robyns on the list...  Ah what the hell - Oi
Stout!  I'll see you in the playground at home time.  Bring yer
anecdotes. We'll soon see who works in the more bizarre office!"
Now I'm practically choking from laughing at this one!!!  What's
next--James' v. Stuarts in a battle over who can quote the most lines
from Jimmy Stewart's movies!!  I'm getting ready for 'It's A
Wonderful Life' on TV straight through the holidays!

**************DRESSING FOR HALLOWEEN IN SMARTY
PANTS!*****************

Rach Grapenut wrote: "Yesterday my mum and brother and I carved some
kickass pumpkins, the best we've ever done, and it made me very
happy."
Yay, kickass!  Yay, pumpkins!  I carved a "kickass" pumpkin this
year, too.  A white pumpkin, and I carved a skull into it. I named
him "Scrappy". Not to be confused with the shitty cartoon dog nephew
to Scooby Doo, but much less annoying and a lot scarier.

Kara Jean wants to be David Bowie for Halloween every year, in which
case I'd give Peter a run for his money! Mmmmmmm, Bowie!

Vel-Gal wrote: "Rachel titled her post "a spooky witch in a sexy
dress" and gave me thoughts of my dog, spooky, in a sexy dress... you
know the only piece of cloth she ever wore was these self-made
knickers i made for her for obvious reasons (her being a she-dog)
with a hole at the back for her tail to pop out!"
AWWWWWWW!  How cute!  I once made socks for my cat Agnes.  Pink
kneehighs, they were.  Her twinkle toes are always cold.  I got a
picture of her in them once, but she was very unhappy.  I hope that
Spooky doesn't mind being dressed up!

Archel Toast wrote of Halloween being silly because kids are told to
DEMAND sweets from strangers. She also remarked on the scare of
anthrax in lovehearts, which she ate anyway! But I really liked it
when she wrote: "incidentally, one of the writers in the festival i'm
currently involved with had to pull out because of a'perforated
colon'.  which is quite an appropriate sounding injury for a
writer..." and if you're gonna die from anthrax, punctuate it with a
witty comment, I always say! (you ARE still with us, though, aren't
you?)

Hey, speaking of punctation and semi-colons and such... well, you
know I like these referential posts, but when I want to quote
somebody who had used quotation marks, I am resisting the urge to
change the inner marks from "" to ''... but that would be tampering
with the integrity of your quotes, you lovelies!  So please don't
hold my bad punctuation against me! ;)

Jim Gilmer sent a link to "Cleaning the Fucking Kitchen for Dummies"
and it was soooooooo funny. I need that for my house.  My brother and
new wife are STILL at my house despite the fact that he said that he
was just coming for the weekend to get his stuff. They have torn the
place up. I have to be mean tonight. :(
Madeleine, I am really aware of how hard it is to live with other
people, I am *not* in the mood for this at all, either!

Cunning Andre wrote: "I never dreamed in a million years I'd get
support to do in an academic philosophy setting-studying the writings
of a Rennaisance magician and discussing it as a philosophical text.
Can I get a BLOODY GRATE YAY, my brothers and sisters?"

Bloddy great yay Andre!!!  I am impressed by your academic endeavors!
I guess talking to people on city buses pays off, eh?

Olalalala (Rachola Cinnamon to those in the know!) wrote: "i've
started reading 'lord jim' by joseph conrad.. he was polish, you
know? :) he changed his name, which was a good decision i guess - i
doubt if he'd have been published a lot, had he signed his works
'korzeniowski' rather than 'conrad' ;) perhaps i should change my
surname too"
Me, too. I wanna be famous but I'm Polish born and french bread, ha,
french bread! (that was for you, sweet crush o' mine!) Really though,
my last name is straight from your motherland, Ola, even though I'm
only a quarter Polish. People have a real problem with polish names
around here. It's not difficult, I promise you, but I will stick to
fruitloop!

********************THE HURTY-GURTY GANG***************************

Kara Jean mentioned slipping and giving herself a fat lip.  She also
is a good singer of "Slow Graffitti".

Angela was: "limping cause i have just about totaly knocked off my
little toe last night on the corner of the couch in my room last
night."

And Matthew Willson wrote: "*random fact* I woke up with a bruised
toe this morning. I also had no idea where it had came from until I
realised I was kicking inanimate objects in a drunken manner last
night :-( After dealing with a rather confusing/tearful 'I really
like you but I can't get involved' talk with the girl who's leaving
before christmas..."
OH WOE WOAH!!!  Why is everybody hurting themselves!? I guess we are
all clumsy from being pulled in every direction by our heartstrings!
Matthew, try to keep your head up. That situation is very hard to
cope with! I'm sending you hugs!

Vel-Gal posted a grate poem and told the tale of nursing poor ill
Stacey Dahling back to health!  Hope you're better, Stacey!

Robster would say: "Doctors describe their condition as 'stable but
twee'."

I would also like to send "get well soon" messages to Big Stu's car!
Does it have a name, Stu? (the car, I mean!)

********STOP THE PRESSES (ER, MODEMS)!  MUSICAL
CONTENT!**************

Tim Banning wrote: "speaking of Women's Realm, did anyone else notice
that when they played it live, they skipped the last verse?"
Yeah, what's up with that? What happened!  I feel cheated, as if I
should wait around for a bit and see if we can have another go at it!

Ian wrote about the time Neil Hannon from The Divine Comedy sent him
a hand written card! That is so wonderful!!!  What a nice guy!

Chris Pez wrote of Nick McCabe: "I wish he'd make a comeback with a
new band or solo as he is a tremendous guitar player, but that might
be a bit too much like the seahorses.  but then again McCabe was
never as self indulgent a guitarist as John Squire was so maybe it
might work."
Yes, indeed. Nick McCabe is genius.  Really truly.  Not that Squire
or Butler aren't, don't get me wrong.  But I have to agree with you
on the self-indulgent quality in a guitar virtuoso taking them down.
Also, Mark Collins from The Charlatans doesn't get enough credit for
being brilliant. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Butler's solo
album 'People Move On'.  Being an old Suede-obsessed die hard, I was
devastated when he left Suede. And actually, he sent me a 2 page
handwritten letter after he "left the band" and it was extremely
bitter towards Suede. Such a shame. But he can be really nice, too.
Another guitarist I adore is Phil Cunningham from Marion, remember
them?

Youn wrote: "I was struck by this line in the song: "I don't know you
if you're gonna show me everything".  There's the obvious
contradiction."
And KEN CHU wrote: "I am going to pretend that I don't know you if
you're going to flash your boobs to me in public"
and I WRITE: "It's not like you to bare your soul to me, so when
you're confessing, it goes against the personality of yours that I
know"  That's what I think, anyway.

Rach O.J. wrote: "what i didn't know is thet my mother like.. loves
belle & sebastian!!"
hoorah! I hope that you have a GRATE trip visiting your mom in
London!!! But i hope your mom's passion for B&S doesn't turn out like
my mom's passion for Morrissey.  It sort of gets in the way, I think!

Paul Arathoon wrote: "I heard the whole B&S EP yesterday and very
sonorous it is too. I would say go buy it but preaching to the
converted and all that..."
It's driving me crazy that I haven't heard this yet!!! The suspense
is killing me!
James and the giant Dancin'Hatchback wrote: "Miss Jenni of picnic
mummying fame has the new Single and says "It's got a really twee
retro design on the cover" and that she feels very proud to have it a
month before everyone else, so. List crushes are brill and should be
encouraged."
I wish MY list crush had an advanced copy of the EP! If he had it, I
would lend him 200 quid for a flight across the ocean!  MR. B THINKS
I'M PRETTY!!! Whooo hoo!  I am smiling! :D That made my day!

Rachel Sunnyside Up wrote something beautiful about the music of B&S:
"These songs have protected me from things that I fear by becoming my
friends and holding my hand at the bus stop, or infiltrating my
speech, gently reassuring me, in even the most difficult
circumstances."
I feel this way, too.  I thank my lucky stars for music!  I have been
indulging in Muse a lot lately.  I just recently got a tape from a
pen pal and I can't get enough of it.  It just seems to fit my mood
and the weather.

Psi wrote: "Rachel Fruitloop - Surely the release of "Something For
The Weekend" doesn't have anything to do with the SFA song? I haven't
actually heard the SFA song yet, but the words have got to be
different."
Yeah, the words are different.  Don't get me wrong, I like both
songs, but it's just that the SFA one RAQUES and TDC one is more
whimsical and twee.  But my heart belongs to SFA, especially since my
current list crush will only endure as long as there are SFA lyrics
for our subject lines!  But HE has voted for me 2 times now... so you
see SFA are very proliphic!

*************IT'S FUN TO TRAVEL AND PICNIC WITH CHU*****************

Lawrence wrote: "hopefully there will be the first inaugural Sinister
Auckland picnic sometime before or after Christmas."
That would be super cool!!!!  I'd want to see pictures of that one!

Michael Vance wrote: "We could have a Sinister hike up in Zuma, but
maybe some have been sitting in front of the computer typing up your
list crushes too long?"
Yes, well... I SUGGESTED a picnic here in Los Angeles on November
10th, but only one person has expressed any interest.  So I guess I'm
just not fit to be a picnic mummy! What am I, Scotch mist? ;)

Upon receiving the news that the Primrose Hill picnic is being
switched to the 17th, The Beautiful Mr. B wrote: "I could suggest a
full weekend autumn sinister extravaganza with two days of
picnics/pubs/dancing/drinking/fitba/singing/redbulldozerslive(Ken?)"
And I say you guys should just go for it and make a weekend of the
picnic situation!!!!!  oh, to be in London!

Sean wrote the most charming travel guide to Baltimore and is hoping
that someone out of b&s will read it and insist that the band play
there.  Sean said: "I will personally show them all around so the
leave with the proper impression of the town."
I hope that you will take me to see the sights and then drag me home.
 I plan to visit you and Elise there next year!!! Especially now that
I know how wonderful Baltimore is!!!! Plus, I just want to hang
around with you kool kats!

Jonny said: "the other more reason was the disturbing piece of
graffiti i saw on a crossing at clapham common last weekend during my
six-monthly visit to the big metropolis from the northern hinterlands
that are south manchester. it read "chu was here". what can it all
mean?..."
I think it means that the next B& S album is going to be called "Chu
was here"!

Katie Cheeriodle (Rachel Cheeriodle to those in the know!) wrote of
an earthquake in Southern California the other day: "my bed started
shaking worse than a vibrating bed in a cheap motel.  Not that I'm
personally familiar with such a bed or anything, lest you get any
ideas about my character."
Well, we know that you only have reference to such bed from the visit
you made to Mr. Ken Chu's house to insure the success of our !Viva
Rachels! movement! ;)

Toby C is leaving us for the Silk Roads of China.  Funny, it sounds
like innuendo to getting down Chu's pants!

Stacey Dahling wrote: "I somehow managed to lure Ken Chu to make an
utterly spontaneous trip into London a few weeks ago, can I entice
anyone else into Athens?"
If ticket prices are still only 50 quid from England, you all have to
go to Athens, I insist!  That is a picnic I have to experience
vicariously through a whole bunch of you kids!

********************FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY************************

Big Stu wrote the commentary for: "the big match: Rachel Rovers v
Wills United."
Big Stu, you are so clever and brilliant!  I can't believe how grate
your Sinister TV live report was!!!!!! I could *kiss* you for being
that witty!

An Monchichi wrote: "I often wish I had Rachel F's brain. But then if
I had her brain, who's brain would she have?"
My cranial cavity would then be filled with cotton candy, I imagine!
I doubt anyone would notice a difference, though!  You are cute An!!!

Elise J. Spry wrote: "a list of alternate merit badges for scouts
that my friend Ben Carter and I made up"
I think that "Faking Term Papers" needs to be another one of those.
Elsie is sooooooooooo very clever and I love her!

*************************LOVE************************************

Kenneth PY Chu wrote: "I think I'm becoming a Cult figure.. look, I'm
Chinese - I can't pronounce my l's and my n's properly."
That makes me want your ass.  I'm single but not nearby. Plus, I
don't know if I could handle the "status" of dating a c**t figure!
But damn you're cute, Chu!

Eric the half bee wrote: "I just need someone to hold and to hold me.
smoking at my window while listening to galaxie 500 just isn't
cutting it."
A sentiment so many of us share with you Eric. It's difficult to be
confident enough to move beyond these suckers who don't "like us like
that" and go fishing!

Amy Longcore (Rachel Apple Jacks to those in the know!) wrote: "there
is a difference between knowing you are using someone as an "escape"
from your working week or whatever, and having a flat out dillusional
relationship with someone you've never met."
Ain't it the truth!!  That is why you must try living in the real
world instead of a shell!!

Cola Cube Cay said of list crushes: "The only thing you'll ever get
out of them is love children and heartbreak and a boy living in your
room for three weeks eating all your bread..."
Love children?! What?! I don't want to have a love child! And I need
all of my bread for myself! Maybe I should rethink my stance on list
crushes...hmmmm... nope, still a fan! ;)

Caleb Ben (for those in the know, RAW) wrote something that has stuck
in my mind: "sometimes love is a match applied to a pile of damp
twigs and sticks, starting softly and subtly but soon is blown into a
all encompassing fire raging with energy and passion."
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!  I think that's the sensation I've had with love
in my life most often.  If I accept the fact that it is love I'm
feeling, that is!  I like Jim Gilmer's interperetation of love, too.
It makes it seem so acquireable! And Jim, I will wear my fan club
badge proudly, sweetie!

Rachel Sunnyside Up wrote: "Tonight I'm worrying… All I want right
now is to be with someone. Safe within their arms and for them to
tell me things will be okay.  But that isn't going to happen
tonight."
Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!  I need that, too! What will we do, what will we
do?  I'm going to listen to "Whatever Happens, I Love You" by Moz to
soothe my savage soul! Grrrrr!

Erin wrote: "I can probably assume I won’t ever have a boy who
understands that aspect of me (admittedly a very big & important
aspect), or am I wrong to assume that all other B&S fans are
terminally cooler than I am?"
No, of course not. I think one grate thing about being a B&S fan is
that we are typically "uncool" and that is what makes us cool!  A lot
of boys love B&S, or can be introduced to them by you, and some of
them even turn out to be straight! ;) Just don't give up hope, Erin.
I'm trying not to!

Matea Basta is suffering from the younger child complex, so I am
sending a big old hug and a shout out to you because you're grate!!!
I am the big sister and I have seen my own sister aflicted with this
complex, so I know how it is!

Kara Jean wrote: "We have a flowering cherry tree outside my house
and I once stood underneath it on purpose on a windy day, but the
flowers weren't ready to rain down yet."
That is GORGEOUS!!!!! Yay, Kara!  I like that picture in my mind!

Will Spike wrote: "She sees me as only a friend.  Sigh.  Why does
this always happen to me?"
Because of The Smiths. That's why it happens to all of us.  "I want
the one I can't have and it's driving me mad, it's written all over
my fayeeyayyeyyaahahace!"

*******************FAVORITE QUOTES**********************
"It's possible that over the weekend someone from Sinister may be
EXPOSED as a MURDERER. But I'll keep you posted." --Andrew Williams

"The staff were so happy, you'd have thought Jesus had arrived with a
big box of sweets."--Robin Stout

On that note, I shall leave you to ruminate!
Extra special hugs to my two favorite boys, Ben Apps and Ryan, and
also to Elise!
And of course kisses and high-fives to the Rachels !VIVA RACHELS! The
battle is underway (or is that underwear?)

love to you all,
Grrrrachel fruitloop