Sinister: they fight fire but tho they burn they do not fight themselves

stacey dahling dahling007 at xxx.com
Sun Nov 4 17:33:32 GMT 2001

So yesterday the toast maker exploded and I haven’t eaten properly ever
since. It’s amazing how much I had come to depend on toast. Toast and honey
for breakfast, toast sandwich of tomato, onion, roasted red pepper, basil,
cheese and mustard for lunch/dinner. It was quite a dramatic demise. I was
washing dishes a foot away when suddenly there was an enormous spark - a
mini-firecracker, really - and then all the electricity in the whole house
went off. An autopsy revealed the power cord had been sandwiched in with the
bread and melted through in two separate sections.
Dinner was not the only thing that died with the toast maker, but also an
informal ritual, or way of life, that had somehow revolved around it. My
days consist of long periods of writing in my bedroom, interrupted only by
the occasional trip to the bathroom or toast maker. I’m usually too
pre-occupied or lazy to make a proper meal, at least not until late in the
evening, so the toast maker was truly an essential appliance, more so than
the television or even the radio. After I laid it to rest on the little
garbage rug next to the door, I didn’t know what to do with myself. I stared
at the refrigerator for what seemed like hours. I spent the rest of the
evening pacing around my room in circles, dipping my finger in maple syrup.
Before the incident, I had spent the morning telling my new roommate Jane
all my secrets. I don’t know how it happened. And afterwards I was quite
embarrassed. I always do this. I withhold so much from my so-called friends,
but blab to strangers. My relationship with Jane began as expected. She
moved in Thursday and I timidly showed her around the apartment, retreating
into my room rather quickly as she went out to buy some groceries. Then we
floated around the apartment, seeking each other out occasionally to ask
questions or point something out, like the water boiler switch or the garlic
press. We gradually began to speak about other things. But it wasn’t until
we had our first drunken “family meal” that I became loquacious.
This is another thing that has dramatically altered my little insular world,
even more so than the untimely demise of the toast maker (after all, I will
likely buy a new one tomorrow). The apartment is suddenly social. Cause and
effect. New roommate means we had to clear out our “office” and consolidate
our living room. Our enormous, open apartment once had two adjoining front
rooms the size of an art gallery (and almost as empty). Now that space has
been cut in half, and there is only one common area. We acquired a table and
television and a lamp and started decorating the naked walls in an attempt
to make the place more comfortable now that the cold weather has forced us
indoors and off the balcony.
On Friday, I ran into Joan of Dark and she came over to escape the dreary
cold and rain. Coral was home, and Jane, and for the first time we had
enough people for an impromptu dinner party. We squeezed into the kitchen,
opened a bottle of wine and chatted as we watched Coral throw ingredients
together for a huge quiche. It was great fun. When the meal was ready an
hour later, we sat around the new living room table and had a long dinner,
finishing off two more bottles of wine and a few bottles of Amstel. I walked
Joanna to the bus stop and returned home to find that Coral’s boyfriend
Peter had arrived. So the party continued, well into the night.
The next morning, Jane, Coral and Peter were sitting in the living room,
watching television and discussing Greek slang. I can’t get over it. There
are people in my living room now. All the time. I had gotten used to not
seeing another person in my apartment for weeks on end, or seeing Coral for
15-minute intervals as we bumped into each other on the way in or out.
I suppose this is really not that big of a deal. In fact, I feel quite silly
getting so worked up about it. But it’s disconcerting to realize one day
that the entire nature of your home has changed dramatically. And it’s
probably a good thing that I will be forced to be social. But. But. But. I
dunno.
I’ve been listening to the same two granddaddy songs on repeat for 40
minutes. I must stop. I’ve begun to need music all the time. Silence
disturbs me. I wonder why this is.
Coral has this theory about sinister.
She believes that Belle and Sebastian somehow appeals to our deep,
child-like sensibilities. That the music is warm and comforting, a salve to
soothe whatever wounds we may have. She thinks we are all either wounded in
some way or have a basic desire to return to a child-like existence. She
points to those of us who are depressed, forlorn, confused, twee. Mind you,
she has formed this theory of hers based largely on me and my descriptions
of friends and tales of picnics and two or three forays into chat. I’m not
sure how accurate it is at all - it does not account for those music snobs
among us, for instance - but there you have it.
Today was a good day to snuggle up with hot cocoa and a good book or bad
film. It was cold and rainy and dark and dismal. But instead I tread half
the city in search of a good café. I ended up at one halfway between the
ritzy shops and student hangouts. It was very bright and proper, with
waiters who wore black bowties. The clientele was old, well-dressed and
perfumed. They were all paired off, or in groups of three or four, and they
eyed me suspiciously as I sat alone by a window, writing and staring
outside, dressed in pale blue corduroys, an old worn plaid shirt and a black
sweater. It made me feel… good.
I feel like perhaps I should begin referring to other listees and posts. My
posts are always so self-involved. I never thought I’d turn into such a
public navel-gazer. How pathetic. I feel guilty about this, a little. But I
don’t know what to say, really, except that kirsten’s last post was so
fabulous I almost printed it out. I’ve never done that before. I’ve noticed
my anti-crush stance has not been received with open arms. Ah well. I
haven’t changed my opinion, but I have enjoyed some of the pro-crush posts
nonetheless. Hmm. You are all fab anyway, however misguided. Ha! Sorry. I
didn’t mean that. Entirely.
I’m going to read a smart, thick, depressing book now, maybe to catch a
glimpse at the meaning of life. Or at least a few words that force me to use
a dictionary. I think I am ready.

“My name will be Money but you can call me Change.”

~dahling