Sinister: Dancing just for practice

JAMES GILMER patchworkz7 at xxx.com
Mon Nov 5 02:44:43 GMT 2001

Pre-post question:

Anyone up for another Chicago excursion before the snow flys? Not a picnic
in this weather, but maybe a meet-up and dinner in downtown? If so, can
someone else plan the bloody thing instead of Michigan Jim? :P

Onwards!!!!!

Do people not dance anymore at concerts?

I went and saw Stereolab in concert last night, and was quite suprised and
happy because I had not realized Quasi was the opening act. Quasi are just
brilliant, and their live show is just staggering. Stereolab were incredible
as well, but Quasi just rocked out.

My only complaint, no one was fucking moving! I've noticed this at many of
the shows I've been to this year, the most obvious being the Jets to Brazil
show earlier this summer, when I and my date were the only ones bloody
dancing and jumping about and having a brilliant time.

It's a bit weird to look around and realize no one's even bobbing their
heads. I mean, honestly, there's an amazing band pumping out insane amount
of noise and ace beats and these people look like dogs being shown a card
trick.

Here's a clue: DANCE! Jump up and down, bob your head, shake your head from
side to side, do SOMETHING!!!

I'm not a club kid or a big dancer by any stretch of the imagination, but
dammit, what's wrong with people that they aren't dancing or moshing or even
nodding their heads in time to the beats?

Ohhh, now I feel old; "In my day we could barely walk after a concert, we
had scars from dancing about in front of the stage, you kids today just
don't know how to have fun...", etc.

Dance, Dance Revolution? No. New game. Dance Fucker Dance. If you don't
dance about at concerts the bouncers are allowed to wallop you upside the
head until you start bloody moving.

Quasi started pumping it, just kicking out madness and beautiful noise and
I'm ready to start jumping about...and not one other bastard in the mix is
moving.

*sigh*

Ken Chu said:
"Knowing how love works is all fine as long as there is someone to love, I
don't think I even know any single girls who live in this town, definitely
not one who wants my ass"

Ahhh, that is a problem. I know I hated high school because it seemed like
there was no one who was my 'type', sometimes even college seemed odd like
that as well, and the ones that were my type were already taken.

There's no doubting that Ken's one of the good guys though, and there's
plenty of women out there who'd love his ass.

Ken, if we ever meet up the first couple Red Bulls and Vodka are on me.
We'll toss them back and I'll teach ya how to do a Kimba impression that'll
have the birds all over ya, not that I really think you need my help.

Kirsten told us about the girl she knew from the town where all they did was
have sex, and I know the type of town she's talking about. Those rumours you
hear about small towns? A lot of them are true. Strange things go on in
small towns. Trust me, I grew up in a smallish town, I could tell you *many*
stories.

Kirsten's post was beautifully sad, and I was struck by the last line; "you
light another smoke and you think, 2001, that's the year...isn't it?"

A new century already, and already it feels too much like the old one. 2001,
and still no jetpacks or moonbases or even flying cars. I want my jetpack
and my flying car, if we're still going to have war and death and famine in
the new century, then the least they could do is get us flying cars.

As to the talk of love and crushes and the like, I think of my friend Erin,
who's somewhere up in the upper part of Michigan at the moment with the
deer, and rednecks, and such. To quote Erin; "Fuck love, fuck it with
knives!!"

It it wasn't for the fact that Erin kicks with the other foot, plays for the
other team so to speak, then I'd have married that girl years ago.

I'm in a bit of a bad mood tonight, as I'm missing my friends. So many of
them are scattered to the wind. Erin up north, Nick and Watson over in
London, Jenny somewhere in Arizona.

I miss London. I miss pissing away the summer in the Ben Crouch or the Bull
and the Mouth drinking far too many RB&V's with my friends or hanging about
the hostel bar at the Generator and chatting up tourists and travellers.

Even my casual friends, like the lovely Elise (who I owe an email to for her
thank you card) and her other half Sean, I resent the fact that I can't pick
up the phone and invite them out for coffee or drinks, or the fact that I
can't wander down to lovely Llew's bookstore and pester her into selling me
heathen books, or even head down to the noodle store and have our resident
noodle goddess Kirsten fetch me a bowl of noodles.

This is why we need jetpacks and flying cars. They'd make sinister drink-ups
so much easier.

Oh, all this and I forge to mention that I had the pleasure of meating up
with Miss Longcore and her utterly mad brother at the Stereolab show. Bit
awkward at first, always is meeting new people. luckily her brother is as
mad in the head as I am, though I was trying to be on my best behavior.

In other news, FROM HELL the movie is shit, in the bad sense. FROM HELL the
graphic novel by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell is a piece of art, and you
should all read it.

I took my niece to see MONSTERS, INC today, and it was actually amazingly
amusing.

I have to say that I agree with Stacey's friend Coral as to why many of us
bother with the list. She's probably right for many, of course, there are
always exceptions.

Poe (the singer, not Edward Allan) is playnig Detroit this weekend and I'm
well chuffed.

Ahh, I've probably blathered on enough, and by the clock on the wall I see
it's time to meet some of my friends at the bar.

Red Bull, vodka, and much love to all the sad sinisters out there.

Jim

PS, a special tip of the glass to a special Sinister girl who learned the
hard way that sometimes people are just scum and selfish bastards. And a
hearty "Fuck them with knives" to said scum. I really hate it when people
fuck with my friends.

"And I'm up while the dawn is breaking
Even though my heart is aching
I should be drinking a toast to absent friends
Instead of these comedians" - Elvis Costello