Sinister: Our Island In The Sun

Genevieve Wesley jiffy_popper at xxx.com
Mon Nov 5 03:25:11 GMT 2001

Dahling had an idea:
Any other takers? I somehow managed to lure Ken Chu to make an utterly
spontaneous trip into London a few weeks ago, can I entice anyone else into
Athens? Think about it. Get back to me. And I’ll continue to scheme through
the winter.

Oh, that does sound lovely. How warm is Greece in late December? I imagine
sitting in balconies with warm breezes eating baguette and cheese. I think
you should lure some UK people from their comfy little positions. They
always get visitors. I'm actually having a bit of a disagreement over where
to go for a holiday. He wants to go somewhere hot and all-inclusive. I want
to go to London. It's just that those package vacations keep conjuring up
mental images of drunken frat boys singing 'One More Time' while the
desperation hangs in the air and from the bikinis. But Dahling, you could
give us a bit of culture! So I put off my own wishes, I'll be there sooner
than later anyways. Although lord knows what I'm actually going to do when I
get there. Vel - no signs of 'Wanted: Go-Go Dancers To Work In Glasgow' yet.
Any nice Scottish families in need of a Canadian au pair? Costume optional.
My latest songs I wish B&S to cover: The Want Ads, (how lovely to  hear
Struan singing 'experience in love preferred, but will accept a young
trainee') and Guantanamera (thanks to Arik for helping me on the correct
title for that one). My third one would be Girl From The North Country. You
know, I think I actually prefer the Bob Dylan and Cash duet rather than just
Bob Dylan. It seems more appropriate that Stuart David would sing that song,
he has such an appreciation for northern girls...but we know that can never
be. He could be in a rocking chair with his guitar, the winds howling, the
snow swirling outside, and, just close your eyes, boys and girls...imagine
you're at the other end of the village. Press your hand to that cold window,
he's singing to you!
I like how Dimitra says her winter comes from Russia. Back at my old home,
when a bad smell would arrive everyone would nod and say 'The winds shifted
- I can smell Thurso'(the pulp and paper mill). I would love to speak
Russian. And Welsh. My teacher tried to explain the double ll: 'it's a tch
sound in your throat'. My ll just doesn't sound authentic, although this
makes the pronunciation of Llew very interesting. Sometimes he's a bit too
scholarly though - Did you catch the Aramaic undertones? Ah no, I didn't.
Imagine that - in Los Angeles that have pomegranate trees! Oh Youn, the
pomegranate WAS exotic and delicious. I saved one half for later, it's quite
a physical job to eat one. The recent longing was stirred by a childhood
memory. When I was about 8 or so, my fancy schoolfriend ALWAYS had one in
her lunch. She had a jacuzzi as well. We'd make our skin lobster-red and
then roll around in the February snow. Very Refreshing! The Moldy Peaches is
closer to what my lunch was like. I don't know why I didn't just throw the
unwanted fruit OUT, but no, I had to hide it in my room. Probably out of
respect for Papa.
I'd like to join the Sinister Grandpa's & Grandma's Club. I want invitations
to sit on knees in rocking chairs by the woodstove, where The Farmer's
Almanac is comfortably close by. Plus, I like to be called lamb or hen.
Grandpa always thinks you need a bit of 'fattening up', how comforting. Not
like boys who remark 'getting a bit of a tummy?' oh yes, just keep on
racking up those sensitivity points!

Love,
Genevieve