Sinister: Never fool with fireworks

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Mon Nov 5 13:55:24 GMT 2001

On my way to the shop to buy some milk I passed some kids. "S'cuse me sir.
Can you spare a penny for the guy?" The "guy" was a stuffed sack in a
wheelchair, with some socks stuck onto it. It was horrible. I gave the young
scamp a clip round the ear. No, actually I just ran away.

For Halloween the goths in the neighbourhood had a dress down day and hung
about town wearing "slacks" and "jumpers" while everyone else tried to be
scary. I went for the Lovejoy look.

Before I went to see Belle and Sebastian at the Royal Albert Hall I devised
a system to help me remember how the new songs went. It was all to do with
whether the next note was higher or lower than the last. Deceptively simple,
like musical braille. Of course it didn't work at all. The next day I tried
to remember how the songs went and got them completely wrong. "La la la... I
love my car, I love my.. Oh no that's 'Lady In Red', let's try again..." So
when I hear the new single it will be like hearing those songs for the first
time. That's not a bad thing really, it it? I always enjoy the shock of the
new. Or do I mean nude?

I took music GCSE, believe it or not, and I was so hopeless that everything
I wrote sounded like a nursery rhyme. I ended up calling one of my
composition pieces "The Jolly Pumpkin Man" to pretend it was supposed to
sound that way. My two compositions were;

1. The Jolly Pumpkin Man
2. Music in a "Gamelan" style

Like I said, I was rubbish. Luckily we were all rubbish - someone I knew
played "The Theme From Howard's Way" on the organ. He was rubbish. Someone
else sang "The Wind Beneath My Wings". She was rubbish. I imagine everyone
else in the country was rubbish too, because I got a B. I didn't deserve it.

I'm rambling now. On to something slightly more relevant...

I emailed jeepster today asking if they sell records with press-out centres
for a jukebox. They don't, so... Does anyone know a Do It Yourself way of
making these? Tell me if you do, it would be very helpful.

Thanks for the flood of emails to my Information Service, by the way. I'm
always here to help! Keep 'em coming!

Robin.