Sinister: Ka-BOOM!

Madeleine McNeil mmcneil79 at xxx.com
Mon Nov 5 14:28:29 GMT 2001

Coo, aren't fireworks brilliant? I went to the display in the park on
Saturday and was late, as usual, and got to the park gates just as the
countdown began (as usual), so had to run as fast as I could into the park
to get a good vantage point, as usual. It was grand. So noisy that it made
my head spin and so beautiful that my eyes all filled with tears and I
thought "My life is so so perfect right now". Then I put my arm around the
loved one and she told me off and started scanning the crowd for homophobic
brats that she teaches at the big school on the hill.

After the fireworks I went out drinking with a posse (I've never had a posse
before, and they weren't really mine anyway, I just borrowed them off my
friend Sexy Susan). The night was tremendous, notable for many things, the
best being my "sexycool" dancing with the loved one to Northern Soul, which
resulted in us headbutting each other so hard I still have a little sore
spot on my forehead.

However, on Sunday I had the worst hangover I've had in many many years.
After lying in bed for several hours, a castaway on hangover island, I
decided to get dressed and go to the loved one's house in seach of sympathy.
I stood up (doing well), looked down at myself, realised I couldn't leave
the house in the hideous purple nightdress and red trousers that I had slept
in and turned to face the wardrobe. I was instantly baffled. I looked at my
jeans. "How do they work?" I thought to myself "How do I operate them?"
Everything I looked at seems just impossible to operate, all the lifting of
one leg into trousers, then the other, the zips and buttons and shiny
fasteners. In the end, I settled for jogging trousers, a zip up top, and
then, on a whim, a black hat that used to be my grandma's. It was the best I
could do. I call it "Confused Tramp Chic" and guarantee it will be in Vogue
within the year. Once at the loved one's, I lay down and tugged at her
sleeve and whimpered like a sad puppy (also dribbled like a sad puppy too, I
fear) until she sent me home.

Oddly, it was one of my best days in ages. Self pity is quite marvellous, I
think.

Yesterday we went to the pub to see the fireworks but we had missed them. I
was very disappointed. When I read "7 pm" on the poster advertising the
display, I assumed it meant "Arrive at about 7.30 pm, have a drink with your
mates, have a little chat, then when you're ready at say.... 9 o'clock?
we'll set off the fireworks". Sometimes being laid back is such a
disadvantage.

I have just read Genevieve's post about her dream. Normally, I find other
people's dreams a little difficult to follow and get enthusiasm for, but
her's was tremendous. I love the idea of a "bizarre wolly-mammoth-cow-like
illegal fighting game" and would happily climb a mountain of ice in shorts
to get to see one.

I have the date of the new B&S single in my diary (other things to do that
day include HAND IN ESSAY in big red urgent writing and GO TO WORK in small
black pessimistic writing) and am very much looking forward to it. I think
they played the song when I went to see them in Birmingham and I recall
being awful impressed, even though I can't remember anything about it at all
now.

I have decided to stop being so nice about people in my posts as it only
makes them vain, like Big Stu Gardiner. Instead I shall end by saying I am
indifferent to all of you.

Madeleine