Sinister: engines of gloom and affection

stacey dahling dahling007 at xxx.com
Tue Nov 6 00:40:02 GMT 2001

"The sky is green, and there is no book to tell us what it means. it has
never stopped raining."

So it’s Monday, meaning I could have gone to buy a toast maker. But I
didn’t. It’s like I revel in the suffering or something.
I’ve been floating in and out of the kitchen, opening cupboards, staring at
a handful of base ingredients, looking for anything that does not need
mixing or cutting or heating or altering in any way. So it’s been peanut
butter. At least it’s protein, non? Last night, I had to get my ass in gear
and cook something. I mean, really now. So I sautéed an onion, added some
sugar water in an attempt at caramelization, and ate it. By itself. Me and a
bowl of onions. Eventually, I also found some potatoes under the sink and
made some chips, which I covered in salt and vinegar and Parmesan cheese.
Yum.
Dave is worried about me. He wants to come over with some tofu and
vegetables and make me something healthy. Oh, how I wish he could! But he is
in Washington, D.C. and I am here. Even the phone company makes it nearly
impossible to bridge the distance.
I’ll break out of this funk eventually. I have a job interview of sorts on
Wednesday. It’s for a babysitting/tutoring job for a pair of 8-year-old twin
girls, who are described by their very own mother as “difficult.” I’m
frightened. But for only seven hours a week I would be making enough money
to pay the rent, and I would have enough time left over to do the job I came
here to do (which does not pay the rent) - journalism. Although I’m
beginning to think travel writing is not necessarily journalism.
I’ve decided to do something drastic. I am staying away from #sinister for
an entire week. It was Dave’s idea. And it is a damn good one. Let’s see if
I can do it. Unfortunately, it means I will likely write too many posts and
send out too many unsolicited emails. So if you all get personal commentary
from me about your latest posts, do not be afraid. Support me as I try to
shake this addition. Yes.
I painted today, too. That took up a few hours. Then it sounded like perhaps
this three-day monsoon was over, so I went to the front room balcony to
check, and I staggered back in shock when I saw that it was night. How did
this happen? I was actually considering going to buy a toast maker or some
food, but I looked at my watch and it read: 6:30. Damn. Well, I guess that’s
what happens when you wake up at 3 p.m. Shameful. I must do something about
that.
So now I still have many, many hours to kill. What shall I do? I allowed
myself an hour online to check emails and read posts - there were tons!
Thank you boys and girls - and now I’m at a loss. I may actually write
something productive. I haven’t written anything for publication in more
than a month, mainly because I have failed to land an assignment. But I
stumbled upon a new travel web site that looks really promising and decided
I want to contribute to it, even though I won’t get paid. I need to write
again. Even if it’s just for practice. And it’s kind of like being
published, in the sense that I can put it on my CV and add the articles to
my clip file. Sad that it comes down to that. But really, it’s just as much
that I want to feel part of something worthwhile.
My friend Michelle and I almost took over a prominent web-based music zine.
It was her idea. She had been contributing to it regularly on the side as
she worked days alongside me at the newspaper. The owner announced he was
going to retire the zine after 20 years because he couldn’t keep it up
anymore. So Michelle got a crazy idea to take over. It would be a pretty
major project - this was like a small business, and this guy’s full-time job
- and she started writing up legal contracts and letters of intention and
all that. She had to name a board of directors, and we recruited a fellow
writer and music guru and a web page designer to join our enterprise as we
planned a buy-out. A buy-out! Insanity. I was excited to be a part of it,
even though I knew it would suck away all my free time and not provide much
supplementary income. But it didn’t matter because I would have a product,
something to show for it. It never happened, obviously. The owner ultimately
decided against letting us buy the magazine’s name and all associated with
it. There were disagreements about copyright and use of archives and all
that. It was complicated business, it was. Ah well.
I’ve had fleeting thoughts about starting a publication of some sort. I
mean, what a resource there is at our disposable were someone to start a
sinister zine or something.  It seems submissions would be remarkably easy
to come by, written and otherwise. Hmm. Printing is the problem. Yuck. Ah
well.
I should stop thinking about such things and just work.
Or go to a film. Yes. To a French film with Greek subtitles, which will
really do my head in. I know neither language well enough to follow
conversations, but at least the visuals are supposed to be spectacular.
Nighty night all. Be good.
And tell someone you love them. And why.

MWAH!
~dahling

PS: I wrote this at 7 p.m., well before the eXtreme elvis post. It’s now
2:30 a.m. and I feel silly even bothering to send this now, for… FUCKING
HELL KYLA. THAT WAS FANTASTIC. What description, what form. Wow. I’m truly
in awe.