Sinister: radioactive clams

Rachel Playforth Something.Pretty at xxx.com
Tue Nov 6 20:12:32 GMT 2001

the subject line is a tribute to lucy from scotland - welcome :)

i thought i'd fill the last hour before starting my new job by writing to
sinister.  although many minutes have been wasted deleting the mysterious
emails and attachments that have mounted up in my inbox over the weekend -
perhaps the virus you were talking of, ruvi?  but it seems that both
computer (virus) and body (anthrax) are safe for now.  (note to johnjohn:
maybe that girl thought your cutiepie was anthrax-tainted?)

i was in more mortal danger last night, however, at bonfire celebrations in
lewes.  standing a few feet from a man chucking burning barrels into the
river was a highlight.  small pyromaniacs in slipknot hoodies throwing
bangers at me was more of a lowlight.  but the biggest danger came from the
cider and doughnuts i think.

on the way to lewes, another young slipknotter was saying 'penny for the
guy, and i'll tear this fiver in half'.  i didn't like to tell him that he
wouldn't get far in any capitalist venture like that.

later, matt reported more younger generation idiocy (no offence to the
sinister under-20s club, who are without exception intelligent and lovely).
a boy came into his shop asking for lazy line painter jane. 'you won't have
heard of it' he said, disdainfully scanning the hip hop merchandise.  'we
haven't got it' said matt.  'well, have you got the album it comes from'
said the boy... now i don't ever look down on people for not knowing every
fact about music they like, but if you're going to present yourself as an
expert...

maybe it's not a good omen for my new job that i spilt water on a library
book and have been trying to dry the pages with a hairdryer, so now it's
gone a bit crunchy... but it's better than the time i dropped villette by
charlotte bronte in a rockpool in pembrokeshire.

having just read my last few digests, i was happy to see my two favourite
sinister boys posting on monday one after the other.  from that you can work
out who you are for yourselves.... :)

how did i manage to score a job where i don't have to go in until one o
clock?  best get dressed now though i suppose.

luv archel xxx

archel at iname.com

For the best in new writing on the web, visit www.buzzwords.org.uk
Contact us on buzzwords at bigfoot.com