Sinister: indie football superstars & other old bollocks (*non B&S* london gig)

Jim Taylor purpletrousers at xxx.com
Wed Nov 7 02:37:23 GMT 2001

I'm slightly confused to find myself actually posting to sinister.

I suppose that's what comes of being ill for ages and actually having time
to read digests, which rarely happens in my life.

hello.

i'm jim, i've been on a sinister for a while but obviously not properly. I
do dip in and read bits, but volume stops me really managing any more than
that. If anyone manages to change British work culture to having three day
weekends i'd promise to read every post, and lots more besides. Fact is i am
actually only working 3 days a week now, but at college 2, and supposed to
be studying evenings (like now), and so have even better excuses for being
busy than i used to.

I'm not sure quite who out of the older pasty faced vegan geeks are still
around, but its good to see so many new people.

Being on sinister still feels an important thing, though when i turn up to
picnics or B&S gigs or whatever i do have a sense of being a bit of a
distant relative, seeing as i don't manage to follow what's going on
fundamentally with the list. Having had some top times and met some loverly
folks, it still does feel like a good family to be part of, and so i shall
carry on randomly-skim-lurking if its alright with you lot.

I'm in london UK btw, erm, and since martin robinson always commented on my
turning up to sinster gatherings in (favourite) purple trousers, when i
needed a temporary email address in a hurry i got this one, and haven't
managed to lose it since.

There's a number of things i've read recently, but seeing as i don't have
much to contribute towards those things, i'll stick to what was the original
reason to start this post a week or two back:

I'm also slightly confused about the origins of the indie superstar team
thing, but as Mr Carsmile ('props' {as i believe is the vernacular of the
kidz} to him + all sinister kids who did londonindieusa)
has already suggested, my dreamteam(s) have already manifested, and defeated
notable indie celeb - teams such as (oh arse the archives don't work at the
mo do they). well numerous indie bands were defeated on the hallowed tarmac
of camber sands @ pontins over a couple of years, and heck calumn even
recruited us the man Murdoch .....{oh, what happy hazy memories they are}

well i've been promising for about two years to scan in a polaroid a bizarre
young woman who was stalking my ex-flatmate (scary actual truth) took of
most of our victorious team from ATPs 2000.
I'm still promising.

I was going to ask what happened to other photographic evidence of our
finest footy hour?
( beyond the crappy that one (made crappy by me wandering off that Carsmile
kindly linked)) thinking that can't be the only one taken just after we
climbed those long steps to collect our bag of stella from Her Majesty can
it?

and indeed, a minimal amount of meandering around our beloved archivey
piccieplace and i came over all gooey to find
http://www.missprint.org/sinister/things/ATPSinisterFC.html.
Bless. Us AND stuart Murdoch. Its on my noticeboard already :)

I also found these fun accounts recently: (we WERE famous!)
http://www.missprint.org/sinister/mhonarc/200005/msg00022.html
http://www.rockfeedback.com/tomorrowspartiesintro.htm
http://www.playlouder.com/feature/035alltomorrowsparties/1.html

So there, that is the dreamteam. done & dusted in my book.

Similarly the narrowly defeated stalwarts from ?'99
(http://www.missprint.org/sinister/picnics/SinisterLooperteam1.html

So my top geezers are:

Rozza
Rich
Ali 'Pele' Cook
Vince 'whereishenowmartin?'
Rory  http://www.missprint.org/sinister/people/Rory.html
Calumn (ourpixielikemascotwithourtrophyonhisheadinmypolaroid)
Dr.Sean
Trousers
(sadlyabsentfromthepolaroidforourvictoriousyear)http://www.missprint.org/sinister/people/Trousers.html

& from our year of so near and yet so far:

mymatedamon
Mark Casserole http://www.missprint.org/sinister/people/MarkC2.html
Simonrorysmate
USben http://www.missprint.org/sinister/people/Benjamin.html

honourable mentions to supersub popkins
http://www.missprint.org/sinister/picnics/TimFootie.html whose link also
brings in cheerleader #3 pa Moore, ably accompanied by carsmile, starry and
the like.

i suppose this treacherous b'strd may have made it if he didn't have a habit
of buggering off to play for the opposition or staying in bed and missing
our finest hour. http://www.missprint.org/sinister/people/MartinR.html
nice bloke (though not sure why he's naked in the photo).

& since i distinctly remember talk of a proper goalie when Sinsiterfitba
almost existed, i think there's the makings of worldbeaters there.

They were really rather exciting footy matches at Camber Sands, right down
to when i tried to let the opposition win by rolling the ball out to the
their star striker and managing to get in the way of the shot somehow. I
suppose i'm allowed to love Scmeichel now he pays for my beloved villa. The
shouting thing definitely works for your own confidence. THAT was the bit i
was good at :)

I'd never won a lot at footy really, ATPs red plastic seaside bucket trophy,
proudly adds to memories of the day the city uni library team shocked all
comers and won the inaugural millennium trophy. And the london buddhist
centre won the inter-buddhist centre 5-a-side competition this year. Hurrah!
(i don't think i was supposed to be quite as competitive as i was, ho-hum)

Well that's about as good as it gets form me, so i'll go back to another
year or two of lurking.

--------%snip%-----------

well since i typed that i got some very sad news.

the band whose name we borrowed (Slot Jockey) to gatecrash and thrash all
comers to win the 'celebrity' (ahem) 5-a-side a couple of years back @ All
Tomorrows Parties, certainly marking the Sinister List's finest football
hour, [bear with me non-footy fans this is about music] were the bearers of
said sad news.

well for all those that wondered who the hell it was we pretended to be, i
once described them in print (when i seemed to have an ability to describe
music) as:

SLOT JOCKEY

"Great songs, great angles, different reasons, appreciation of space and
silence" (Organ). The mighty Slot Jockey are described by the NME as "a
seething lump of post rock sugar... fireworks every time" and "a see-saw
between sulky interludes and brilliantly pissed off sonic crunchings". They
see themselves as being "influenced by the New York noise of Pavement and
Sonic Youth, and the New York melody of Neil Diamond". With their own
refreshingly distinct very British slant - on singles such as their now rare
debut 7" 'Sister Root' (Double Plus Records) - Slot Jockey ooze taut, skewed
tunefulness and loud/quiet/LOUD dynamism, displaying a startling ability to
spew out (barbed) hook laden nuggets of friction noise with apparent ease.

Well due to emigration to Australia, what was to be an *album launch*, has
very sadly turned in to a final gig, about which i'm pretty gutted.

I thought one or two might be interested, in the last ever chance to see
them.
You have been warned. I'll buy you an onion bhaji if you think they're
shite. (hey i'm not rich).

8.15pm (EIGHT BLOODY FIFTEEN (worst slot i've ever sodding known them to
have)) monarch/barfly (chalk farm road) this saturday 10th Nov.

(leaves time to get to upstairs of garage to see tender trap :-)

it'll be a bit of a wake i guess. hopefully not too much of a whimper at
that time.

I'm gutted that a bunch of top people i only got to know cus i loved the
band, are splitting up.

maybe i'm naive at expecting bands to get a certain amount of recognition,
but bloody hell, they deserved a notch or two more.

well its your last chance, you've been warned.

(not the other)  jim

P.S. My aunty's parrot (observed reciting poetry long ago) was telling me of
a new dance they are doing in the Tyrol Region, called the Alpine Foxtrot.
Sound familiar to anyone? you young whippersnappers you .

sorry if i've missed things btw/made any faux pas.

content: i quite like belle & sebastian you know.
+ i like the fact list mummies work so f'in hard for this to exist.