Sinister: Exposed to the Super Furries at last

Simon Fallaha psi_fla at xxx.com
Sat Nov 10 14:03:39 GMT 2001

Hello again everyone.

What a week it's been. I had yet another Operatic Society concert in
Coleraine on Thursday night (and I have to admit it went well, though the
acoustics were quite bad, the place we were singing in being a hotel), three
film reviews of mine got published in the student magazine at uni, and - I
was finally exposed to the sound that you call the Super Furry Animals, last
night.

Don't ask me why they took so long to get onstage. We (that's the whole
crowd, including my friends Dave and Jim) were stuck in the Nerve Centre for
about two hours waiting for them, and all we had in between was someone
playing his very old guitar and singing songs we didn't know.

Never mind. Minor complaint. Well, now that I've heard Griff Rhys and co., I
have to say that I was entertained the whole time. I've also got to admit it
was the weirdest concert I've ever been to. It wasn't as good as Ash last
year (probably cos I knew no songs) or JJ72 (probably cos they don't have a
cute bassist) but it was still a lot of fun. What I liked most was the way
they played all their videos on background screens while the band themselves
were playing. Some cheeky quotes came up on those screens too (I'm not at
liberty to say what they were). At one point we had Schwarzenegger on screen
repeating the same thing over and over again. Zzzzzz....

I liked Rings Around The World, the one about the Presidents (I forget its
name) and Run Christian Run. And also a few others.

I also met a lot of people. This guy called Dermot is one of the few people
I know (my friend Jim aside) who can claim to know as much about The Divine
Comedy as I do. When I finally get my website up he'll understand what I'm
saying. Then there was my old friend from school, Alana. Great to see her
again. She's looking prettier than ever. As for the others, I'll probably
forget them by next week.

TDC's last ever gig in Belfast is the same night as my Millennium Forum
concert for the Operatic Society. Not good. However, I will be going to see
B & S in December (when my workload has gone down). Right, time for me to
get back to work.

(No notes to people this time, sorry).

Take care,

Psi