Sinister: monochrome in the 1990's

paisley christina reiving at xxx.com
Sun Nov 11 07:23:14 GMT 2001

Quite a while ago,
in the early summer
...there was a Sinister debate about indie kids.

And someone said that Nick Hornby wrote that it wasn't what you were like,
the thing that mattered was what (books, films, records) you liked. And that
may have been true in the "High Fidelity" film. But in the book, when his
Laura girl gets back together with him...she takes him to meet some of her
friends. And he likes them. And she shows him their records: Tina Turner,
Simply Red, horrors etc. And he still decides he won't look down on them.
Because it *really* is *not* what you like that's important after all. I had
to clear Hornby's name of that. Though I still think Penny was treated
abominably.

My favorite from the book: "The whole episode defies any rational
explanation. But all these things happened, and they happened again, most of
them, the following evening, and then evening after that." About the first
girl who kisses him, specifically. But the sentiment can be applied quite
broadly and aptly. To me, if no one else.

"We can still see you, you know." I'm studying English & Philosophy during
the day, working at the student radio station at night, and working in a
department store on weekends. I was dancing because I was happy. There was
just the store music, and no customers around. And I was getting cold. And I
already spent the morning draped in melancholy. So my manager called me on
the register phone and told me to quit that dancing. She called a couple of
times, every time she caught me on camera. But my joy was "not to be
daunted!" It would be pretty cool to be written up for dancing on the job.
Anyway, the customers who did see me seemed to enjoy my kinetic
interpretations.

"Dance Fucker Dance" indeed. Right. On. I'm having my own little electronic
renaissance, and all are welcome to join. Dancing in public is the next best
thing to being naked. In public.

Also a long time ago. Robin wrote about egg cups. And a birthday balloon
bursting on the ceiling. Those beautiful images are still in my head. Thank
you.

Douglas Coupland came to speak at a bookstore, where I was curled up on the
floor with my chin on my knees to hear this soft, thoughtful hero of mine
speak. One thing he said was that only 20% of people actually get irony.
Terrifyingly, then, the other 80% must be taking everything literally.

Boo! It ends my first post.
--paisley