Sinister: Returning, We Hear the Larks

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Sun Nov 11 12:46:11 GMT 2001

I'd like to begin by welcoming myself back after another spell in the
archives. The reason I am back is because it has always been my ambition to
post on the same day as both Pinefox and Big Dave. And because there's a
JAPANESE TOUR coming up.

Thank you to Big Dave and Genvieve for Reporting Back so beautifully a
couple of weeks ago. I can't remember what it was about, but it was good.

I haven't got much to Report Back on. Those 'In the Studio' photos were
good. I particularly liked the one of Mike Hurst sidling along the curve of
the piano in an Isobelly direction. You'd  have thought the string players
would have got dressed up for the occasion. The ones on 'Ocean Rain' got
dressed up, I think. I can't quite remember. There was a photo on the inner
sleeve. Can anyone help? But then again, in those days, string sections were
a thing of the past. Now they are so common it gives you lockjaw just
thinking about it. I'm glad they were up-front about Sam Fox. She had been
unfairly airbrushed out of the equation earlier on. And let's face it, she
had massive knockers.

I recommend the film 'JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK'.

I have written a poem in the style of LLOYD COLE:

Isabelle Huppert
Went to the cupboard
To fetch Norman Mailer
A bone.

When she got back,
He'd gone.

As you can see, the first stanza is in the style of early LLOYD COLE, while
the second stanza is more in keeping with the DON'T GET WEIRD ON ME, BABE
period.

I'm really looking forward to a rash of Reporting Back from Japan. Sod
Belfast. I wonder what appropriate songs B&S will cover in Japan? Some
achingly hip J-Pop? And in Belfast? I don't know any groups from Belfast.

This month is the last 'chance' to read stuff that has already appeared in
the now legendary Papercuts at
http://www.badosa.com
There have been one or two changes, but it suffers dreadfully from not being
sandwiched between a Caleb Rudd interview and Lucy Alder's top tips. It
would be good if Papercuts came back, I think.

I think it's good that the new PINK FLOYD compilation finishes with BIKE,
too.

Peter