Sinister: The bus has left the station

JAMES GILMER patchworkz7 at xxx.com
Sun Nov 11 16:53:34 GMT 2001

Ken Kesey died yesterday.

Fuck.

Kesey was one of my high school heroes, and his books; "One Flew Over the
Cuckoo's Nest" and "Sometimes a Great Nation" had a deep effect on me during
my teenage years. The book that Tom Wolfe wrote about Kesey and his Merry
Pranksters, "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test", had a staggering amount of
influence on me when I was younger.

In 1964, with Neal Cassady (also the hero of "On the Road") and the rest of
his band of Merry Pranksters, Kesey (with Neal at the wheel) drove
cross-country in an old school bus named Further, seeking enlightenment in
LSD and trying to open the minds of others as well.

I'm sure many of you read the novels, most of you probably saw the movie
that was made of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", a movie Kesey hated
because it took the point of view away from the character of the
schizophrenic Indian, Chief Bromden.

Now, the 60's are looked back on with either a condesending nostalgia, or as
the butt of a joke (look at those silly hippies!!), but the truth of most of
the 60's is far from tie-dyes and flower children. For all their flaws, the
heroes of the 60's believed in a better world, and they believed in a
greater freedom, and it's a shame the world just passed on by that dream.

They did do great things though, the Civil Rights movement, the women's
rights movement, helping to turn public opinion against a corrupt war and a
corrupt goverment, and they laid the seeds of rebellion and hope and jump
started a stagnant culture. One generation did that in the span of ten
years, not a bad record at all.

I really feel like just going and making up a 'special' batch of kool-aid in
tribute to one of the greats, but instead I'll just tip a glass to the
memory of the Pranksters tonight and say a toast for Kesey and all the old
Merry rebels.

Ken Babbs, Kesey best friend, said it best:

"A great good friend and great husband and father and grand dad, he will be
sorely missed but if there is one thing he would want us to do it would be
to carry on his life's work. Namely to treat others with kindness and if
anyone does you dirt forgive that person right away. This goes beyond the
art, the writing, the performances, even the bus. Right down to the bone."

Jim