Sinister: How can you persuade a dog and a cat to get along?

Will Salt wpsalt at xxx.com
Mon Nov 12 19:43:05 GMT 2001

Ages ago now, Stacey Dahling wrote to Sinister to say that
long-distance crushes are a bad thing.  And she was talking from her
own experiance.  Then, Rachel Fruitloop replied to say that: no, list
crushes are a good thing.  And she was talking from her own
experiance.  After that, Dimitra jumped in and said that: no, list
crushes or long-distances crushes are just like any other sort of
crush.  And she was ... well, you get the idea.  I wanted to reply,
but my mind was busily re-arranging itself at the time and I wasn't
sure what I wanted to say.  Next, I wanted to reply, but although I
knew what sort of feeling and noise I wanted to make, I didn't know
what words to say it with.  Finally, though, I realised that I wanted
to try.

Today, then, I went out and looked round another art gallery hoping
for some inspiration.  It was packed, full of teenagers drawing
sketches of the pictures.  They all picked from just a few, it
seemed.  The most popular was an Andy Warhol portrait of a dog.  But
anyway.  I left, buying a few postcards to pin on my wall.  I don't
have any pins, though.  In the end, I realised I'd just have to talk
about my own experiences.  Well, I could try it.

At one time, I agreed with Fruitloop that list crushes were a Good
Thing.  Then, a little while ago, I agreed with Dahling that list
crushes were a Bad Thing.  Now, though, I think they're just a Thing,
and whether they're good or bad depends on you and one other person.
I'm not sure if that's what Dimitra thinks, but it would be nice and
symmetrical if it was.

I even tried looking for inspiration in my dictionary.  It says that
crush can mean "infatuation", and it can also mean "to defeat or
humiliate utterly", and "to become injured, broken or distorted by
pressure".  Of course, I'm sure you knew that already.  I know I did.
I had several crushes -- not necessarily List Crushes -- that ended in
utter humilation, when Whoever found out that I had a crush on them.

I think that happened in every case.  I'm not sure about injury, but
the humiliation kept on happening.  Well, nearly every case.  There's
not much point going into details, because nearly all followed the
same pattern.  I don't want you to think there were lots, but there
was more than one.

So, of course, I thought that crushes were a Bad Thing and I was
doomed.  But, I realise now, it just depends on whether the other
person is special enough.  Whether they deserve it, I suppose.

If your crush is a special person, then they won't just reject you.
At first, they might not tell you that they think you have a crush on
them, but they will still keep talking to you.  Even when you know
that they know, you will still keep talking to each other.  Gently,
shyly, you and them will talk about all sorts of little things, and
you will start to feel a warm glow inside.  You don't talk about
crushes, but you might discuss things like your pets, or your family,
and then suddenly decide to meet up with each other again, and go off
to the other end of the country.  Just as friends, of course.  And
then you can forget all your other worries and problems and just feel
happy, because you have that warm glow.

I sent a crush vote to someone the other week.  I think they guessed
straight away that I had sent it.  I hope they're happy right now.

xx
will

--
Will Salt