Sinister: child bride / sake and gin

Graham Henderson tobikid at xxx.com
Wed Nov 14 14:52:44 GMT 2001

Well then...so...

A beautiful 16-legged musical miracle rolled into Japan on Monday night, for
the first leg of a whistlestop tour which very suspiciously includes no
weekend night.  This happy gaijin learned a few new things over the course
of the evening:

1) Fred Savage, dimpled star of hit TV schmalz 'The wonder Years' did not
simply just fade from the public eye as he grew older.  Instead changed his
name to Stevie Jackson and moved to Scotland, where he learned to blow a
truly mean harp.  Kawaii, ne?

2) Kujo is not a big rabis St. Bernards dog from a second rate Steven King
movie, but actually a station on the Osaka OTS port line.

3) A carefully planned mullet can actually be very, very cool indeed- nice
one Bob.

4) Watching Stuart dance makes my neck hurt quite a bit.

5) Osaka is a very big and confusing city, where you can walk for three
quarters of an hour and still be in the same train station.

6)Big Man in Osaka is actually a very large TV screen in Hankyu Umeda
station that serves as a meeting place for the locals.  In Glasgow it's a
phrase denoting a modicum of respect, when received from spotty youths in
shell suits.

7) I'm not Mark.
Standing at the Big Man (see above)
-"You're not Mark, are you?"
-"No I'm not."

8) Mick actually does smile sometimes.

9) When she's doing her little mock-boredom percussion playing face, Isobel
goes right off the top of the cute-o-meter.

10) Belle and Sebastian absolutely rock.

The gig was great..there was the odd cough, splutter and cleared throat here
and there at the beginning, but hey, its the first night.  Stevie swung
enchantingly between boy next door and boy that thinks he's johnny cash,
stuart was the consumate entertainer and demonstrated once and for all it's
confidence, not coordination that makes a truly great dancer.  In fact
everybody was just bloody lovely and the only complaint one could make about
the concert is that it didn't last forever.  Oh, that and the sound quality
at the Zepp Osaka, which did make Stuart sound a little like Davie Jones
sometimes.

So it was all cool really.  And then I got the Shinkansen as far as Okayama,
met some Aussie mates and bored them to tears with a blow by blow
description of the whole event.  Then I got really drunk.

Nice

Song of the night: I fought in a war, just for stuarts extra slow moody
start.

Thanks to:

DundeeRachel, L.A.Rachel and Oon for wishing me luck in my endeavours.
I didnt get any good luck messages from any wills...

Especially to the lovely Yuko Kaido, who was my guide and companion for the
evening, and without whom I would probably have never found the concert
hall, and would probably still be wondering lost around the streets of Osaka
right now.

Small Raspberries to:

Dundee Rachel, who sees too many good concerts for my liking.

Big Raspberries to:

Motoko and Takahiro, who ended up not going to the gig.  Your punishment is
your crime.

Lot of love to:

Each and every one of you, and to Belle and Sebastian.

Kyotsukete ne?

Tobi

Tbwthe