Sinister: um. how much do you think i could bench-press?

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Fri Nov 16 06:17:12 GMT 2001

   another night at the teahouse.  for some reason...probably the
balmy weather....i felt like dressing up.  i took a seat near a
window and adjusted my red skirt, looked around and felt it was going
to be a nice evening.  there was a boy on the floor, playing with a
black puppy and smoking. he was at the feet of a girl with wild
blonde hair and shiny metal hoops dangling from places on her face i
wouldn't have imagined they could.  dangle.  she suddenly broke the
hum of muffled conversation in a clear, gentle voice, and asked if
anyone would mind if she were to play her violin for a bit.  of
course no one minded, so she stood up next to a yellow grandfather
clock and played a simple melody.  it sounded like something i might
have heard before. it sounded like a song someone sang to me when i
was very young.  or like a walk through a forest.  it sounded like
lying on my back in the summertime, it felt like the sun and it
smelled like warm grass.  somehow....
  it made me think of things i could well have forgotten by now.  a
pretty woman in rome who sang sweetly every morning as she hung her
laundry out the window across the alley. skipping barefoot around a
norseland farm in a cream-colored petticoat, tugging at my father's
sleeve so he would lift me high enough to peer at the sheep on the
other side of the fence.  the wonderful gifts my grandparents used to
buy for me on their travels.  brightly-painted horses, handmade
moccasins, little woollen skirts and coconuts carved into scary
faces.  sitting all night at a place called holy hill, making
magnificent plans, sharing childish dreams with a girl i thought had
it all.  a funeral for a girl i only knew by name.  i thought of my
friend dan.  of people i don't see anymore.
   of people i wish i could see.  of things i wish i were brave
enough to do.  things that i could do instead of hiding away night
after night in the teahouse, quietly joining in a modest round of
applause from strangers behind walls, in darkened rooms.  i
thought....that i shouldn't stay any longer....
  i walked slowly down the orange stairs to find the place nearly
empty.  two behind the bar.  one at the window.  two at a little
table, studying history and getting drunk.  the reverend in the
corner, setting up his amp.  looking sad.  he's a good man...a chain-
smoking minister who twinkles his eyes and sings the blues.  the last
time i saw him, i was wearing a plaid coat and standing in line for a
drink.  he half-sang, half-shouted "wooeee an' we gotta baby girl
inna plaid jacket, boys, you know what they say bout them girls in
plaid jackets" and a few people yelled "WHAT?" and he just laughed a
smokey sort of laugh and shook his head.  it didn't make any sense,
and he knew it.  but the reverend is the sort of man who says things
for the pure enjoyment of saying them.  he came upstairs later and
sat with us....i forget who else was there.  he gave us some good
advice, and he gave us his business card.  the card said he would
play "weddings, funerals, private parties, bookshops, coffee shops,
bars, and revivals."  i remember that.  i thought it was funny.  but
i've forgotten the advice....of course.  i tend to forget the useful
things.  tonight, the reverend just called me "honeypie."
   i went to my car, and i'd had to park in this awful lot on the
corner.  it's always full of panhandlers, shady characters, brawling
sailors...i've seen things...ugh.  there was a woman there one
afternoon a few months ago.  she told me she was hungry. i took her
into subway and she ordered this gigantic roast beef deal, a large
fountain soda and a bag of chips.  fine.  THEN she hit me up for bus
fare.  okay.  i'm a sucker.  she asked for a few more bucks.  i
didn't have it.  she got sort of mad.  tonight she saw me getting
into my car.  i locked the door immediately, as i always do.  she
hurried over and started saying something to me, rubbing her thumb
and forefinger together and spraying out her lips as she spoke.  i
started the car and shook my head.  NO.  she kept at it, though.  she
started tapping on my window, and i would have driven away but i was
searching under my seat for tigermilk.  i kept looking up at her and
saying NO and shaking my head, and then she reached for the door
handle and tried it.  i was so glad i'd locked it...i might have been
scared, but i think i was just angry.  or disgusted.  or scared.  i
don't know...i stepped on the gas.
   this is what happens.
   love
kirsten