Sinister: Kim Philby Filled My Trilby

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Fri Nov 16 10:30:23 GMT 2001

Recently spotted in Mo-Jo Magazine was the following letter:

'I'm a subscriber to your excellent magazine so please bear with me. I'm not
sure whether at the ripe age of 43 I've lost the ability to spot a joke.
Your recent review of the Clangers CD refers to a vinyl edition in a pink
knitted sleeve. Is this serious? If so, where do I get a copy?'

Sadly it was not from Big Dave.

Thank you, Big Dave, for pointing out that new article by Stuart. I thought
it was complete rubbish. I'm glad the Grosvener Café is being sold, because
it's HORRIBLE. Stuart says nothing bad could ever happen there, but the
owner, who is a right miserable CUNT, once told me off for eating a Mars
Bar. And I wasn't even eating it. If it had been a Twix, I would have stuck
it up his nose. I hope the Grosvener becomes a Starbucks with piped Missy
Elliott. I also spotted some inaccuracies in what Stuart said about *that*
(they weren't bearded, were they?), Brazil (Catholicism was imposed and is
only one of many religions, some of which are a bit like voodoo; it isn't
free and easy, as far as I know) and
the crusaders (if you write The Crusaders it looks like the jazz funkateers,
and they weren't the first to use slap bass - that honour goes to Mark King
from Level 42, beating the Style Council's 'Money-Go-Round' by just two
weeks! - from 'The Guiness Book of Made-Up Bollocks').

REPORTING BACK

This comes from the sleevenotes to Echo and the Bunnymen's 'Crystal Days'
box set (which could profitbaly be reduced from 4 CDs to 4 songs, but's
that's another REPORTING BACK):

IAN: 'Seymour Stein saw us at the YMCA gig with Joy Division in 1979... I
think he wanted to shag me. Which he didn't, but he signed us anyway.'

ME: I think I can see a pattern forming here.

and:

'They have just signed a worldwide deal as Echo and the Bunnymen, while Ian
is signing a separate solo deal to an alternative label.'

ME: Ha ha.

END OF REPORTING BACK

I bet Putin had to read those books at school. It's like Tony Blair
mentioning Dickens ('the works, not the winder!') or George Bush saying,
"Yes, Ralph Waldo, a great American." I am impressed by the judo though.
Didn't Putin judo somebody on television once? He maintained his icy
expressionlessness throughout, IIRC.

I am reading a huge book called LONDON THE BIOGRAPHY.

I'm glad Robin is reading 'War and Peace'. I remember the landlord from
'Cheers' had to read it once, to impress the barmaid ,and then someone let
slip that there was a film and the landlord said, 'What, you mean I could
have gone and seen it at the pictures?' Those were not the actual words
used, that was the Bolam Boogie Likely Lads Remix.

Sister Disco