Sinister: glass of chocolate milk, head of lettuce, darkness of clouds at one a.m.

stacey dahling dahling007 at xxx.com
Sun Nov 18 03:00:19 GMT 2001

I’ve been hungry a lot lately.
And not just for food, although that is the most pressing hunger at the
moment. I’m beginning to enjoy the sensation. It’s a constant reminder of
sacrifice. What, exactly am I sacrificing, and why? I’m not sure entirely.
Yet. But I’m getting there. I think.
It started with cheese. I stopped buying it. I realized one day that one
chunk of cheese costs the equivalent of 10 loaves of bread, or 7 bags of
pasta, or an entire refrigerator full of fresh produce from the neighborhood
open-air market, including eggs. I felt like a wasteful sloth. And one
without money to spare. It was also partly because somehow I do all the
grocery shopping and the flatmate does the produce shopping and I realized I
was getting the bad end of that bargain. Oil and detergent and cheese and
milk and cereal come out to a bit more than spinach and onions and oranges.
So I’m boycotting the market. Which leaves me with a loaf of bread, a bag of
rice, lots of water, and random vegetables. And since I lack the culinary
creativity to transform the random vegetables into something appetizing,
it’s been toast and water for a few days.
This is all quite silly, I realize. I could simply ask the flatmate to go to
the market for a change. But I feel that this can also be a valuable lesson
in survival and poverty and making the most of raw ingredients. Or
something.
Another thing contributing to this little bit of insanity is the insomnia
that has crept into my bedroom and taken over my life. It makes me do
strange things. Or, more like it, it makes me not do things. Like leave the
house in the day time. Or work. Or get out of bed much. Or eat. Because who
can rationalize making a meal at 3 a.m.? The other day I had a long bath. My
insane bedhead since then is evidence of how close I’ve gotten to the shower
since. Not very.
My flatmate has begun to look at me in disgust. My response has been to stay
in my room as much as possible. Last night was a social evening. I did have
to leave the room. I tried to tie my hair back and I entered the kitchen in
my pajamas, having a beer and smiling as much as possible while the flatmate
got drunk with her boyfriend and cooked an actual meal. Then I sat on the
floor of the living room and ate the meal. Then I retreated to my room
again.
The other night I left the building. I had intended all week to see a horrid
American film in hopes that it would be cheesy enough to make me smile and
dream without making me think too much. Every night I thought to myself,
“tonight is the night I leave the house and go to the film.” But something
always came up. I’d be in middle of composing a particularly important, long
email. Or I’d fall asleep while reading. Finally, on Thursday, I raced
through the streets, late, to the theatre. It was a nice diversion, but an
awful film. The walk home, however, was glorious. I felt acutely alone. I
fancied myself a strange solitary character in a sad poem or serious novel,
walking the dark, lonely streets at an odd hour, swept up in some sort of
emotion or thought. I hugged my coat to me, passing young and old people,
all dolled up for a night on the town. The air was chill yet just warm
enough. I craved cheese. Or chocolate. Or any processed, horrid food. Yet I
somehow resisted the temptation and reveled in the pangs of hunger in my
belly as I rounded the corner down the brothel street, which was oddly quiet
and empty. It felt good. I have no idea why.
“I go my myriad ways blundering, bombastic, dragged by a self that can never
be still, pushed by my surging blood, my reasoning mind.”  Thank you Ted
Berrigan.
I do have the vague feeling that all this is not really healthy. And that
the behavior actually worries people. It worries me sometimes. Enough to try
to change it, in fact. But it’s also gotten comfortable.
The other night I didn’t sleep at all. And today I was only able to sleep in
two-hour periods. Time has lost all significance. I drift in and out of
consciousness, and waking has become pretty similar to sleeping. I spend a
lot of time in a dream-like state. I’ve started creating fiction in my head
again. Today I wrote some of it down. It wasn’t any good. But it got out of
my head, a little.
I started to listen carefully to lyrics of songs, as if they hold the
meaning of life or something. I’ve looked for it elsewhere, see, and I feel
like I’m starting to recognize it in everything. I read something in a book
and realize someone just told me the same thing in a letter and then I hear
it in a song and it’s all a somewhat new revelation, but everywhere. Was it
there before? Did I fail to see it? Maybe I wasn’t looking. In that case,
how much else have I missed? I’ve been almost as hungry for meaning as for
food. I guess there’s not much to do but lay in the darkness and think half
the night away. It feels good to think again. I had stopped doing it because
I would inevitably end up depressed. But I’m not now, oddly, even though of
all times in my life, it is now that I am most alone.
Monday I might start talking to heroin addicts again. Interacting with
criminals and those on the fringes of society always makes me feel the most
alive. They seem to have more insights than normal people. They seem to have
experienced the real stuff of life. And they are honest. More honest than I
am, even to myself. I will at least walk. Walk until my limbs hurt and my
side aches. There’s nothing like physical fatigue to revive you.
I listened to the new B&S single and it’s disturbingly twee. Like, too
happy. And old-fashioned. I sighed when I heard it. And it made me sad.
Because I was upset at how happy it was, so I thought that must make me old
and bitter, or something. The day that I lose appreciation for B&S will be a
very sad day. And I worried that it had come. So I put on IYFS in a panic
and relaxed. A little. Maybe when I’m happier again it will all be ok. But
for now. Eek!
I want to take a walk. But I’m in my pajamas. And it’s not safe.
So instead, I will put on some Fred Astaire and challenge myself not to
think of Christmas. No, that is torture. I will put on some Camera Obscura
and think of sweet Gavin and Primrose Hill and a bunch of sweet boys and
girls huddled together awkwardly dreaming of a warm pub. And I will lay in
the dark and join Ruvi in thinking about the sea, which is not so far away
from here, and clear and enticing to most people but full of sea urchins who
scare me away.
I hate beaches.

~dahling

ps: after that, I feel obliged to make you laugh. So please go to:
http://buscemi.diaryland.com/older.html it’s Steve Buscemi’s online diary
and it is absolutely hysterical.

pps: Bug Stu, you scare me. You exude coolness like cheap cologne. And
although I like the scent, I’m afraid to get too close because it’s a bit
overpowering. I have a very sensitive nose. Ian, your dates with the list
smell lovely. And Ruvi. Mmm. Ken, you know I love you. You make me smile.
Always.

http://www.geocities.com/dahling007