Sinister: kiwi; smoking; aftermath of randomness; questions about boys that I would like answered please; stuff; minor b+scontent.

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Mon Nov 19 14:12:43 GMT 2001

Hello..

Can you believe it? A whole digest without a single
post from me within. I guess I must have been busy
this morning. Hey, I was a lurker for a morning, how
about that?
I’m back doing my whole sneaky-sneaky thing at work
right now.
A bunch of stuff in no particular order:

I’m really enjoying kiwi fruit at the moment. Did I
tell you about my health kick? (*yawn*- a thousand
sinisterians). I keep eating kiwi fruit. Its not as
good as chocolate, but for comedy value, it’s the next
best thing.

I was asked if I had still given up smoking cigarettes
by Rachel Fruitloop

Well, in answer to your question, it’s a sort of yes.

The only time I have been naughty and unable to resist
the fiendish temptations of cigarettes was on
Saturday, when I met up with someone from Sinister.
Oh, and the Saturday before that as well, when I went
to a gig. You must forgive me though, because my
excuse is feeble, but you know, on both occasions, it
was sort of eek, new people. I went to the gig on my
own you see, and spoke to people. But in order to
cope, I had to smoke. So I did. I think that’s fair
isn’t it?

Otherwise, I’ve been a good girl and resisted. Was
shocked to discover that the original goody-two-shoes,
my mum, actually used to smoke herself. Apparently
only when she was out drinking, and it “didn’t count”.
But I informed her it did.
If you smoke cigarettes, you are a smoker. If you
drink you are a drinker. If you swim you are a
swimmer. If you run you are a runner. If you have sex
you are a ….

Argue with me as you please on this.

Archel said she got an e mail from Stuart Murdoch
about buses.
Well poo to that, I got one from Astrid and she said
cool stuff that made me smile and inspired me to pick
up my guitar (and put it down again after fifteen
minutes) then start work on writing stories, so stick
that in your pipe and smoke it, girly.
;-)
Its cool what the effect of a stranger can have on
you. Send someone off this list a random e mail. Go
on. Just to them, tell them something.

I sat up late last night, writing in my notebook. I
wrote about the labels in the cloakroom when I was
little at school, where the teacher wrote your name on
a piece of card and there was a picture next to it. I
wrote about having wet tights. I wrote about dancing
with the boys nobody ever wanted to dance with for
ceilidh dancing at school, a few weeks before the
Christmas party. I wrote about the way their sleeves
were always too long on their jumpers, and you found
your own hand being covered by them. The way those
boys always looked at the floor, and the way they
never held you in their arms like they were supposed
to, the way it was as if you were disgusting or dirty
or something. (maybe that was just me.). But probably
more likely because they were afraid- afraid of their
friends teasing them and saying “you’re in love with
idleberry! Wooo!”. Or afraid of their friends going
one step further and telling that they did like me.
And afraid of rejection added to their public
humiliation, even if they weren’t interested in me,
there would be nothing worse than someone you don’t
want not wanting you either. Or maybe I just smelled
funny. I haven’t quite decided. If anyone can suggest
why boys didn’t want to hold me properly during
ceilidh dancing when I was a teenager, I’d love to
know.
Advice: hold a lady like you hold yourself.

I probably seem too keen for you right now. I’ve been
posting too much recently. I sort of need to. It helps
me pass the day, and I have all these thoughts aching
to be released.
Its odd, but I always have the best ideas when I’m too
busy to think about them. I always find inspiration
when I don’t have time for it. When I’m at home, and
bored, and doing nothing much in particular, I don’t
get inspiration, or ideas or thoughts to share.

Any more takers for going out this weekend to the
cinema? I heard that Camera Obscura are playing on the
24th at the Tron in Glasgow as well. I’ve heard praise
about them from all sorts of people, and think I
better go and listen and go to the cinema afterwards.
Otherwise it will be like so many other things- I miss
out on being able to join in the conversations because
I don’t know what the topic is about. And even if the
conversation isn’t that exciting for the participants,
if you’re on the outside and listening in, it seems
more enthralling.
Topics of conversation I’ve never been able to
participate in:
Ted Hughes; Keats; Harry Potter novels; Tiswas; Swap
Shop; Ataris; Joni Mitchell; Hard House; the
difference between speed garage and garage; Ali G when
he was still on the 11 o’clock show (I was in Norway
then); Belle and Sebastian winning the Brit Awards (I
was in Norway then, too); Bowlie (I was in Norway..
you get the picture); the North Berwick picnic;
anything with French stuff or french words dropped in
for effect; and a whole load of other stuff too.
Of course, there’s a whole load of stuff I can’t be
bothered to discuss, because I find it so boring.

Heres a thought. I was going to ask “if you could ask
anyone in the world, one question..” but decided to
narrow it down to Belle and Sebastian, in order to get
a little bit of content involved in this here post.

If you could ask a member of Belle and Sebastian any
one question, what would it be?

You can make up their answer for them, if you like.

And on that note, I shall depart.

:-)

love,
idles