Sinister: B&S brazilian gig, as a first message... and, in the end, a "I am really sorry" message.

arlequim at xxx.br arlequim at xxx.br
Thu Nov 22 19:30:18 GMT 2001

I am from Brazil. Precisely from Rio de Janeiro. And, of course, I was there
at the Belle & Sebastian gig at Free Jazz Festival (although I must admit
there was almost nothing could be precisely nominated as "jazz" in the cast).
After a short Sygur Rós presentation, after which the brains of the audience
felt confortably melted, everyone started singing "The State I Am In" as if
it was the national anthem, with hands on chest. I thought B&S fans in
Brazil were, as I am, a little more discreet and introspective.

When the show started, a guy on the left start yellin' the lyrics in
Sepultura style, guturally. He didn't care about the melody at all, and
cared a few about metrics: he just wanted to prove to everyone around that,
although he had a terrible lack of musical talent, had spent about 20 hours
a day in front of the stereo, so he could memorize every single line of
every single song.

When Steve started playing the horn, so that we all realized that "Me and
the Major" was on its way, I had to run away, because the same guy started
jumping like a monkey. Uau, he was in a speed metal gig in his mind!... I
squeezed myself through the crowd, so I reached the other side, we're I
would be safe.

At this point, I saw a group of girls who, on the other hand, didn't know
anything of what was happening on stage. They were just glancing aroung,
adjusting their tight skirts and heavy make-up, looking for true love, I
guess. By the time "Don't Leave the Light on Baby" begun, they were flirting
with a group of sympathetic guys, including me. I was too much focused to
pay attention to them, but I have to admit they were preety beautiful! I
simply wasn't in the mood for any extra activity: just watching the show
carefully, so I could always make a mind visitation to that moment of my
life and experiment that feelings all over again: the excitation, the groove,
the anxiety for not knowing what could come next in the setlist. I had to
keep'em, because there is a strong possibilty the band will never come to my
country again.

When I turned back to the girls, "The Boy with the Arab Strap" was in the
middle, and they were dancing with their brand new pairs. I felt a sincere
happiness: they were not there for a B&S show at all, but, even then, the
reached their objective. Touching...

"Fox in the Snow" was the emotional peak of the night. There were other
highlights. The girls-who-found-love in front of me loved when the band
covered Caetano Veloso's "Baby" in a perfect arrangement and "Minha Menina",
a classic with Os Mutantes. Finally something they could sing aloud!! By the
way, does anyone know if Sarah Martin has ever spoken portuguese before???
She sang amazingly well!

After the show, headed home. It was thursday, and the office was waiting for
me the following day. What else could I do? But I confess I hardly slept
that night...

Uff!! HOw hard it is to write the first text to a list!
I felt obliged to say something about B&S. Promise I will be more original
and personal on next messages.

* * * * another thing * * * *

I am sorry for the "test message" that went before this one. My younger
brother was on command of the computer and I asked him to send a message for
the list, saying something nice, in order to test my inclusion in it. He
just perpetrated this bad, bad, bad joke and didn't think about the
consequences it could have for me and my reception, as a foreing element, in
Sinister. So sorry, sorry and sorry again. As someone said to me sooner, as
a comment, "we take the list we make" - or something similar. I belive that
too.

Roberto