Sinister: Champaign for my real friends...

JAMES GILMER patchworkz7 at xxx.com
Fri Nov 23 04:34:27 GMT 2001

...and real pain for my sham friends.

To be brutally honest, I don't usually have much time for Thanksgiving. I'm
not much of a holiday person to begin with, and Thanksgiving really doesn't
have the same spark as Santy Claus day does, but what the hell.

I got to spend today with my family, some of whom I don't care for much, and
others that I couldn't live without.

I got to see my niece today, and a more brilliant 12 year old I'd be hard
pressed to name. We talked about music and Harry Potter and her track team
and she beat me in a race to the end of the block.

She also told me the card I sent her, a card with a sketch of Christopher
Robin and Pooh on the cover I sent her from Belgium this summer, is proudly
hanging in her locker at school.

So, I suppose I do have a lot to be thankfull for. A brilliant niece, good
family, patient parents, and the best friends I could wish for.

I'd rather have them here with me, as I type this, my monthly cigarette
dangling from my mouth and the buzz of a few RB&V's fading away.

But some of them are at their families, and some of them are scattered
across the county, and some of them are even scattered across the world.

If there's ever a time I doubt myself, or feel a bit down, the one thing I
can do is look around at my friends, and I know anyone who can have the
collection of friends I have isn't all bad.

If the measure of a man is his friends, then all I can say is that I must
have done *something* right in a past life to deserve my friends, and not a
day goes by when I'm grateful for the lot of them.

So, if you'll forgive me a bit of a soft moment, I'm feeling extremely
grateful to all the wonderful friends I have and I have made, and I don't
say lightly that if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be here.

Anyways, a toast to all my friends, on the list and off, because it's the
day to give thanks to the things that are important to us, and nothing could
ever be more important than friends.

A good deal of them aren't on the list, but to the ones that are, cheers.

A tip of the glass especially to Laura Llew, Kirsten, Emily and Sean, Amy
Longcore, Amy Bancroft, Sean and his sweetheart (the sister I *wish* I had)
Elise Spry, ~stine, and to the whole bloody lot of you:

Happy Thanksgiving.

There, I promise the next post will see me back to my old cursing, cynical
self.

Cheers!

Jim