Sinister: i'm so vain i probably think this post is about me

Archel Playforth Something.Pretty at xxx.com
Sat Nov 24 20:25:39 GMT 2001

you know, i try to be a good listee and save up scintillating comments until
i have a proper, substantial post, but it takes a long time to build up a
sufficiently interesting narrative, and i do worry that people might forget
who i am in the meantime.  like so many of us here (don't deny it) i am a
vain vain person and i like the sound of my own voice (well, the look of my
own words...)

some people just seem to live in a world of ready-made amusing anecdotes
(kirsten, ken chu) whereas i can go for literally days without anything
happening. at all. or maybe it's just the way you tell 'em. but i have yet
to find a way of making 'i got up, i carried some bookshelves, i ate
chocolate, i made a salad' sound quirky.

i shook hands with the german ambassador yesterday, which you'd think would
form the basis of an anecdote really.  but you know, that was it.  he came
to visit the university, i shook his hand (mine was very cold, as always,
and he looked a bit pained), he left.  and not a ferrero rocher in sight.

the other thing that happened at work was me joining the pension plan
(omigod).  you have to specify a recipient of a lump sum if you die 'in
service' - sounds like the army.  also since i have never stayed in any job
for longer than a year, i'm not sure that i'll accrue enough contributions
for my bereaved ones to even buy a wreath.

on thursday i went to the only thing that passes for an indie night in
brighton any more.  the unsalubrious atmosphere was forgotten as, as if by
magic, the opening chords of 'she's losing it' greeted my entrance.  how we
danced.  also got 'legal man', although only after an unfortunate episode
involving rage against the machine.  the strokes and the white stripes were
heavily represented, obviously (and the verdict on the latter from my friend
george was 'they sound like early beatles'. hm.)

have been watching lots of slightly strange films lately, involving amongst
other things superintelligent ex-lab rats (the secret of nimh) and dead
david nivens (a matter of life and death).  and did you know that the
original animated lord of the rings film is out on dvd tomorrow?  yay!

speaking of films, i recently read this summary of Storytelling:

"Storytelling is comprised of two separate stories set against the sadly
comical terrain of college and high school, past and present. Following the
paths of its young hopeful/ troubled characters, it explores issues of sex,
race, celebrity and exploitation."

replace the word 'Storytelling' with the word 'Sinister' and 'two' with
'1500'... and voila. us in a nutshell. (although as austin powers might say,
us in a nutshell would be more like 'help! we're in a nutshell.')

<content> i hope that amongst the crazy seasonal covers at the QM Union they
do fairy tale of new york.  that would be great.  and maybe last christmas
by george michael as well.

right that's IT.  better go and live some more so i've got something to
write about next time...

luv archel xxx
archel at iname.com

For the best in new writing on the web, visit www.buzzwords.org.uk