Sinister: i'm so vain i probably think this post is about me

Peter Carter p.carter at xxx.uk
Sun Nov 25 00:20:24 GMT 2001

Archel asserted that...
> the strokes and the white stripes were
> heavily represented, obviously (and the verdict on the latter from my
friend
> george was 'they sound like early beatles'. hm.)

There was a quote, in PC-Gamer of all things, that went something along the
lines of (I can't find the mag to give a direct quote):

"...but then there are a lot of things in this world that don't make sense,
like why am I the only one who thinks that The White Stripes sound like a
two member, early beatles tribute band?"

So he's not alone.

As far as I'm concerned the Strokes are ok, but nothing brilliant, though
they have grown on me since I first heard them. The White Stripes on the
other hand just seem really boring, and sound derivative... without me being
about to put my finger on exactly who they are deriving from.

Also, the fact that Pop Idol's own Doctor Fox likes the Stroke is at least a
little worrying, and here is the expert critical analysis of some guy off of
the telle:

"If you say that Coldplay is the sex you have in a loving relationship, then
the Strokes are the kind of sex you imagine yourself having with the sexy
girl at the end of the bar"

Which worried me somewhat. I really didn't know that Coldplay represented
the kind of sex I'd have with anyone, and I can only assume that what I get
is obviously of a much higher standard than that guy. Which I suppose should
make me happy.

Something which doesn't make me happy though, is the new Tompaulin album.
Patchy is, I think, quite a pleasant word to describe it, as it just seems
like a mini album with a few things they were fooling around with inserted
between tracks. There is some genuinely week songwriting and lyricism as
well, which is rather shocking given the quality of their past releases.

And, last but by no means least, I'd like to announce the brainchild of Kara
Jean* Daria Brielmann and myself, Fast Cow. It's a music webzine, and,
within a few weeks will include an interview with The Lucksmiths, a review
of the latest Airport Girl release, a commentary on Mixtapery by listee,
TransatLlanic Mixtape Comp Finalist, and all round arrangical genius Rachel
Walther, and news that everything that Jon Bon Jovi ever released was a big
fat joke. Currently there is an interview with Tompaulin, a review of My
Life At The Movies and a few assorted pieces of stupidity, and well as uber
slick presentation. So, I offer you, my fellow listees, the chance to check
out www.ciahq.fsnet.co.uk/fastcow before the official launch, and before the
masses. Enjoy :)

Peter