Sinister: 'omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis'

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Mon Nov 26 04:43:47 GMT 2001

  i sat on my parents' bed, admiring my new shoes and waiting for the
phone to ring.  it didn't for awhile.  but then it did, and my shoes
are blue suede but the boy on the phone looks nothing like elvis.  to
me.  and that's good.  i wish i were good at thinking of interesting
things to say on the telephone, but i also sometimes wish that i had
a pet monkey and a pearl-pink vespa, and that's not going to happen
either.
   my mom kept saying she was going off to bed, but then she'd just
turn the page of the newspaper.  finally i drove her off by turning
on some strange silent film marathon and making it into something
quite loud.  it is still on right now....it was snow white for
awhile.  then it was sepia-toned children in a dungeon.  with pretty
piano music.  i came back later to find geisha girls giggling and
bearded men strangling a bear.  with different music. old people
playing drums around a fire.  to beethoven's sonate pathétique.  and
then it was boys working in a garden.  a very old woman blowing out
the candles on a birthday cake.  a man playing a sad song on a
fiddle.  lumberjacks.  bathing beauties.  now it's ripples on a pond
and a bare-shouldered girl and swaying palm trees and some sassy
latin-sounding music with a piano and flute and drums. and there's a
volcano.  this is just fascinating.  really.  oooh a monkey!  who
needs words when you have tambourines and monkeys....
    upon my arrival at the diner this evening, i was happy to find
some of my very favorite strangers scattered about.  one of them is a
man with the most fantastic voice i have ever heard.  he sounds like
barry white after a carton of cigarettes and two minutes spent
gargling with whiskey.  listening to that man order a hamburger feels
almost holy.  my other favorites are a young couple who sit and smoke
newport 100's and talk about getting married.  they've been talking
about it for well over a year, and i wish they'd stop talking and
just do it already.  someone suggested i tell them so.  maybe that's
just what they need....for a strange girl in a sparkly tam to put
down her coffee mug and say "HEY.  we're all sick of hearing about
this.  just get married and be done with it."  and then two little
light bulbs would appear over their heads and they would run off to
las vegas.
   my brother's friend justin moved to las vegas unable to hold three
beers in his stomach.  he lived there for awhile.  then he moved
back.  last night he drank a bottle of maker's mark whiskey that must
have been sitting around since 1989.  i was spilling my drink
everywhere and they were talking of molotov cocktails so i went to
bed, and they went into the garage for the gasoline and went out
whipping the grenades at the high school, and at rocks and goalposts
and whatever else they happened upon on their drunken stroll through
the neighborhood.
    i can't think what else to say today.  my mom asked me to play
some christmas music on the piano.  i turned the coventry carol into
something positively sinister.

love kirsten

'all things are changing, and we are changing with them'

Care2 make the world greener!