Sinister: Style is about how you carry something off. Fashion is just marketers' wank

JAMES GILMER patchworkz7 at xxx.com
Wed Nov 28 02:38:26 GMT 2001

I still haven't stopped grinning.

Why? Because I've got the new single, and it's brilliant, a nice cheer-up at
the tag end of an annoying day.

The thing that strikes me is that you can just feel the playfullness, the
pure fun that just bleeds infectiously from the speakers. Look at that cover
and the inserts, do they not scream mischievous fun?

As I was trying to explain what I thought to my friend Bryan, who was in the
car with me, I was trying to put into words the appeal of the new single,
but he was the one who hit it on the head when he said: "Charm"

That's what Belle and Sebastian have got; "Charm". Good old honest charm.

It's the charm of the pretty girl who's face lights up when she smiles, or
the charm of the mischievous grin of a boy as he whispers an offcolour joke
into said girl's ear.

I've heard a bit of talk about how Stuart's voice sounds "strange" on "I'm
Waking Up to Us" and I don't understand it. I don't think there's anything
strange about it, I just think he's working within the style of the song,
and I think it sounds great.

Frankly I'm in awe how much control he has over his voice nowadays, compare
the range on the new single to a piece like "Boy Done Wrong Again", it's
astonishing the skill he's been showing.

And the lyrics! Ace! "I'm Waking Up to Us" is a smart song about love and
letting go, utterly well done. It's a great song about growing up and moving
on and I'm just grinning like an idiot from how completely well done it is.

"I Love my Car" is more charming playfullness from the group. Come on now,
you can't help but smile at this, you can almost hear how much fun the
band's having. This is flawless pop at its best.

"Marx and Engels" is worth the price of admission just for the line; "She's
writing in the style of any riot girl", let alone the absolutely lovely
vocals from all involved.

Fucking brilliant, and I can only shuffle my feet and hold up my bowl and
croak in a little Oliver Twistian voice; "Can I have some more, sir?"

I wasn't sure how "I Love my Car" would come off, I didn't mind it live, but
I found it kind of bland next to some of the other pieces like "Magic of a
Kind Word", but here the band just carries it off in fine style and I'm glad
they used this number.

Charm, good natured charm, that's what makes this so perfect, from the cover
to the songs.

I'm sure this outting isn't to everyone's tastes (and I'm sure there are
still people banging on that B&S have never matched TIGERMILK) but if
nothing else, the pure fun of it all should at least soothe the nerves of
the naysayers.

No sad bastard music on this one, even though the title track tells a
crushingly human story.

I want posters of all the band member's with the dogs. I especially get a
grin out of Richard's inside shot, something about the look on his face. Of
course, I'm sure we can all agree that the ladies both look lovely.

There's a lesson for the lot of us; charm and style and an honest grin will
carry the day every time.

I had more to say, but instead of banging on about myself and my day, I
think I'll just curl up with a book and a grin and listen to some charming
music.

Now, if only I had some pretty girl to curl up with and whisper offcolour
jokes to my night would be perfect...

Jim