Sinister: I'm Reporting Back To Us

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Wed Nov 28 12:15:03 GMT 2001

What do we think of the NEW RECORD? I'm a bit disappointed, but I don't know
why. I think it's GRATE, but as CHRISSIE HYNDE would say, "something is
gained, something is lost". But what about that photo of Isobel on the back
cover, eh? PHWOOAR! Her coat is the same colour as the dog's nob she's
holding. I mean, the dog she's holding's nob.

By now, Struan and Shaggy are GRATE MATES. Struan will go round and call for
Shaggy, but Shaggy will already know he's coming, because of all his close
circuit cameras. Beautiful women will feed them both grapes and accompany
them to the jacuzzi. They will go for a ride on Shaggy's luxury yacht and
shag some birds. Struan will invite Shaggy round to his house to watch the
ladies' keep fit on Thursday mornings. Shaggy will help Struan lay the
trestle tables for a coffee morning. And so on and so forth. Ad nauseum. I
can't really criticize B&S for repeating themselves when we must have had
this paragraph, or variations on it, hundreds of times over the past five
years, or however long it is. Perhaps I've hit the nail on the head.

Did anyone go to Later at Jools Holland's?

Here is a message that bounced back the other day:

> Here are some links:
>
> http://www.nme.com/NME/External/News/News_Story/0,1004,51244,00.html
>
> http://www.nme.com/NME/External/Reviews/Reviews_Story/0,1069,9014,00.html=
>

> The first one features a picture of Stuart in some 'scotch' trousers, =
> not unlike those favoured by Miles Hunt of The Wonder Stuff circa 'I'm =
> Building Up My Problems to the Size of a Cow', although he had a jacket =
> too. Higher budget.. The second link features a frankly terrifying =
> photgraph of our heroes communing with canines. Perhaps the RSPCA should =
> receive some of the proceeds from that charity gig.
>
> Pinefox:

> in the styles of Lloyd Cole was little, or large,
> short of magnificent. I think some of the research was
> from PaperCuts #2, mind you.
>
> Ah yes, the lengthy essay that almost single-handedly started the Lloyd =
> Cole revival. Said revival has recently resulted in the release of TWO =
> new Lloyd Cole albums, one of which is instrumentals. I saw them in the =
> window of my local record store. It seems like a dream now. Has Lloyd =
> Cole released two albums at once? Or have I started having Lloyd Cole =
> dreams?

> I suppose 'Dancing Horses' makes it; 'Killing Moon';
> the one about the chandelier, for Steady Mike factor;
> and - I don't know; they did underachieve, didn't
> they? Or - overachieve? Either way. The Electrafixion
> 45 'Low Down' was surprisingly good, though.
>
> Here is my Bunnymen Top Four in culinary guise:
>
> 1) The Cooker
> 2) Never Stop (Bistotheque)
> 3) Bring on the Dumpling Horses
> 4) The Kipling Moon (All Night Version)
>
> I think The Back of Love is better than Bring on the Dancing Horses =
> really, and the one about a chandelier is a must. Yes, they did =
> underachieve. But endearingly so. Four songs is a bit harsh, I'll take =
> Crystal Days 1979-1999 as it is, crap and all. I'm not very familiar =
> with Electrafixion. Will Sargeant says it was like Tin Machine - 'I =
> didn't even bother checking that out 'cos I knew it'd be crap' - or =
> something like that. I think the Bunnymen probably had more in common =
> with contemporary synth bands than their fellow guitar manglers. That's =
> what I think.

For me, the highlight of the Velvet Underground Bootleg Sessions TheQuine
Tapes is NEW AGE.

I thought the film BASQUIAT was good, but it's not a patch on the excellent
book WIDOW BASQUIAT or the film BEFORE
NIGHT FALLS, by the same director.

Peter