Sinister: And we'll fill in the missing colors In each other's paint-by-number dreams

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Wed Nov 28 23:56:46 GMT 2001

Hi there!

(Pretending nothing happened this morning. Thanks to Telegamr Asm for
suggesting the Gillanders defence.)

I must be losing my objectivity where Belle And Sebastian are concerned, as
I can't understand why anyone wouldn't like the new single. Its GRATE, with
something for everyone: a monster production very personal seeming love
song, a Dexieland stomper & Belle And Sebastian Classic ('98?) for those who
don't like their new stuff.

The orchestral arrangement on the title track is impressive, although I may
soon break into a laugh *every* time I hear that chortling bassoon behind
the instrumental break. On the last listen I could even see a pair of comedy
Ted Heath shoulders going up & down.

I had forgotten that Mike Hurst was a member of The Springfields before
turning record producer. He also released 2 solo albums in the early 70's &
apparently they have been re-issued recently. Listen at your own risk,
though.

It was a worry that the King Louis novelty overtones to I Love My Car would
soon prove wearing but even after scores of listens I still love it. The
Uptown Shufflers may tell appalling jokes but that clarinet solo is the
bollocks.

I don't know where Tanya Donelly went but she seems to have come back. Sally
lent me her new ep & its surprisingly good. The title track may not have the
greatest melody but all the old compelling vocal tricks are there. And she's
a Lucinda Williams fan.

Peter, is the Velvet Underground Bootleg Sessions - The Quine Tapes any
good?

I dream of the Grateful Dead Box Set. 12 CD's. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Love,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK